Lymphatic Malformations on middle finger - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Lymphatic Malformations (also known as cystic hygroma and lymphangioma)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2008, 05:39 PM

Default Lymphatic Malformations on middle finger

Hello,

I just recently found this discussion forum and would like to share my story and worries. Also hope to learn from your experiences to find the best possible options for my 22 months old son.

My son was diagnosed with Vascular Malformation on the middle finger of right hand. It came with birth, but only a tiny bluish dot (size of needle tip) on the tip of his middle finger. At about six months old, the bluish coloration started to expend to the entire upper middle finger (front side). At about 12 months old, the bluish area expended to almost the entire middle finger (front side). Also, at this time, we started noticing the middle finger grow fatter than other figures, not dramatically fatter, but noticeably fatter. Recently (in the past month, age of 20 months), we noticed the bluish area expanded to the index finger and palm. Also, the index finger seems to grow fatter and the top of palm seems a little puff. At this point, we have not noticed functional abnormality yet. The malformation generally does not bother him much, not much pain I guess. Occasionally, I can tell he is in discomfort because he would not let me rub his finger or wash his right hand. This happened a couple of times.

We visited a local vascular malformation center a couple of month ago. With MRI result, my son was diagnosed with Lymphatic Vascular Malformation (mixed type). But, they suggested no procedure to be done at this point. They will monitor (visit the hospital every few months if no rapid change occur during these months) and let me know when it is time for a procedure to be done.

Well, I am a little concerned now and worry if delaying possible treatment at this stage would cause the affected area to grow bigger which could be more difficult to deal with in the future. Especially, we have seen changes in recent months. I worry it will expend to the entire hand or even to the arm if leave it untreated. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Shoud I wait like what the local hospital suggeted. Does any one have similar case? How worse it could go, entire hand, arm, even expend to the body?

I am also seeking another specialty group for a second opnion. Does any one have references regardelss the location? Thank you for reading the message and thank you in advance for any information you may offer!!!

Last edited by yhou : 07-25-2008 at 05:44 PM.