Growth/Color Changes - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 01-06-2009, 11:42 PM

Default Growth/Color Changes

After really reading the site a bit earlier, I was eager to get home and look at photos to see if I could see any real changes in Teagan's alleged hemangioma. What surprised me was that there was very little change as far as shape and size, but the COLOR changes have been dramatic.

We hadn't really noticed, seeing her every day, but when you look at photos from her date of birth and compare them to photos today, there's an incredible change.

So my question is this. I've read a lot about how hemangiomas go through the proliferation phase, rapidly growing in size, but could it still be a hemangioma if it isn't physically changing, aside from color??

Photos are attached for your thoughts and opinions. The first is Teagan at 4 days old, and the second is today, at 6 weeks old. (I know it looks like there is no birthmark in the first shot, but it is there, it's just very light and pink.)

Thanks!

http://img370.imageshack.us/my.php?i...0205742ds3.jpg

http://img393.imageshack.us/my.php?i...1895033jt7.jpg
Old 01-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Yes, it can still be a hemangioma, even if it isn't physically growing.

Not all hemangiomas grow rapidly (and what is rapid to the hare and what is rapid to the tortoise might be two different things). Some don't grow at all. Some grow alarmingly quickly. They are all different.

Color, however, is another matter. Because vascular birthmarks are, well, vascular, they can change color from minute to minute. The baby is hungry, cries, and the birthmark turns bright red! The baby is calm, sleeping, and the birthmark is pink again. The baby falls down, screams, the birthmark turns purple.

I sense that you mean the overall color has changed, though, and yes, that also does happen.

Other parents will chime in soon!

Take care,

Missy
Old 01-07-2009, 02:40 PM

Thanks, Missy. You are correct...I meant overall tone changes. In looking back at photos, it really hasn't grown or spread all that noticeably, it's just changed in color significantly. It was quite surprising, because we hadn't really noticed it, seeing her every day, ya know?