just started propranolol - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 04-09-2009, 06:58 AM

Default just started propranolol

And I wanted to share my results so far and ask a couple of questions...

My son was 8 weeks old today and we started propranolol yesterday. He's had five doses so far. I wish I had gotten these pics in the same lighting and with him awake (you can see the shape of the lid much better when his eyes are open -- and actually the before pic sort of minimizes how distorted it looked anyway -- it was bad enough that when he nursed on the left side, I could barely see his eyeball), but you can get an idea from these. I'd say it is MUCH lighter already and I think it is less puffy. It may also be a little smaller, but it's hard to tell if it just looks smaller bc of the change in color.

Before (monday):
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3573/...63322aa2_b.jpg

After (wednesday, few hours after the 5th dose):
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3576/...f49bd0d3_b.jpg

So, my first Q is this... Is it normal for hemangiomas to be sort of bumpy and the coloring to be uneven? It looks so much smoother now after starting the propanolol, but I hadn't seen anyone mention that effect on this board and the doctor didn't say anything about it.

I was also wondering if other people have built up to their full dose over a couple weeks and, if so, when you stopped seeing improvement. I have seen that some people have seen alot of improvement in the first 48 hours but not much after, but I'm wondering if that's at the full dose. We're starting at 1/4 the dose and moving up by 1/4 every four days. So, so far he's only been getting 1/4 of what he will ultimately be taking. I'm also wondering if he's doing so well at this dose, if maybe it's a good idea to just stay here, but we'll talk to the doctor about that tomorrow.

eta: I'm going to try to get a better pic, in same lighting with eye open, tomorrow and I'll post it if I do.