Anyone have experience with perfecta laser? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 08-01-2008, 07:02 PM

Default Anyone have experience with perfecta laser?

I have not posted in a while. My son Jett has PWS on his legs, trunk, back, and chest. My husband and I were very skeptical as to whether these treamtments were working or not until his last treatment (#7). He showed remarkable results that treatment. He had another one yesterday and the Dr. informed us that they now had a new laser, the Perfecta. We were excited as for the first time they were able to treat his entire body. Usually they only are able to do his legs or chest. He does not seem to be near as swollen or as purple. Also, his last treatment he got covered in blisters. Anyone have experience with this laser?
Old 08-15-2008, 02:23 PM

Our daughter (9 1/2 months old) has PWS on one half of her face. She has had 9 treatments with the Perfecta, starting at around 6 weeks of age. We are very pleased with this laser.

The improvements have been slow but steady, and we can now see spots of "normal" skin through the PWS, and the darkest areas of the PWS are now significantly lighter. Instead of purple and red, the PWS is now medium pink.

Following treatments, she is very bruised (which we have been told is a good sign, because it indicates that the PWS is being broken up by the laser). The bruising fades in a couple of weeks, but the area remains reddened for several more weeks after that. Of course, we keep high-SPF sunscreen on her face at all times, especially after a treatment!

Some very small blisters/scabs also develop a day or two after treatment, but we keep them treated with Aquaphor cream, which seems to eliminate any discomfort for her. These areas usually heal up after a couple of weeks.

Her skin has remained slightly "chapped" during this process, but she shows no discomfort. We have her treated every 3-4 weeks, so this chapping would probably go away if we extended the time between treatments. However, our doctor recommends as many treatments as possible during the first year. (Not all doctors agree with this approach, though, so you and your doctor will have to determine what is best for Jett.)

I am so happy that you have seen positive results following your doctor's use of his new Perfecta laser. We are extremely pleased with our daughter's results. Aren't we blessed to have this technology available for our precious children?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:49 PM

My daughter is 2 and she's had 9 total treatments with the perfecta. She's had amazing results. Her PWS is all over. Most of her face, chest, back, hands, arms, spots on legs and feet. Her arms, chest and back are so light now that it looks like she is just kind of spotty from being cold. Her hands have been difficult to treat b/c they swell really bad, so the doctor treats only the back of her hands right now. She has had significant lightening on her face as well. She has some stubborn areas and after the latest treatment (August 28th), it is shocking at the amount of improvement. Now, the laser was turned pretty far up on the jewel setting to get this result and the days following the treatment were rough, but it looks amazing.

Her next treatment is scheduled for next week - Oct 2nd. I've been very happy with the results.

Now, there have been treatments that we didn't see much progress, but I think that had much to do with the level of intensity more than the laser itself.

Robin
Old 10-05-2008, 09:51 AM

Hi Robin,

I'm glad your treatments are going well :-)
My son is 1 year and 8 month old, after 7 treatments for a PWS on his left cheek.
He also has some stubborn areas so the laser is constantly being turned up on the jewel setting. We had some good treatments with nice results and some with no results at all. I was wondering if you happen to know how high was your daughters jewel setting (on the face). I would like to understand if we already reached the highest levels or not.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:16 PM

Hi Robin,

I'm glad she's doing so well My son also PWS on his hands, chest and shoulder. I'm wondering when did you start the laser treatment on your daughter since she's is now 2? I'm really worried whether the laser treatment will help his improvement. Hopefully it will. Also, did you use the numbing cream or on GA since it's large area? How did you keep her from crying during the treatment?

Thanks for your reply. God Bless
Old 04-24-2009, 12:44 PM

My daughter has a PWS on her left shoulder, back, arm & hand. She is now 2 years old. We have done 4 lasers so far. We use the pulse dye laser. The last laser was a week ago and they uped the laser to 10.5 and said that was as far as he was comfortable going. I think this was laser is going to have great results. Anyone who wants or that has any questions for me please e-mail me private. skhensley@newwavecomm.net They use GA for her since it's such a big area. She has no problems so far.

Thanks