VM treatment ethanol gel at John Hopkins - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > AVM Help > AVM Help and Resources

Old 03-10-2009, 12:42 PM

Default VM treatment ethanol gel at John Hopkins

Hi Everyone,

If you live in the area of Baltimore, you might be interested in getting treatment with ethanol gel (instead of ethanol liquid which is the actual standard treatment). It's been used in Europe for awhile, with good results, and it is now being tested at John Hopkins. For people without insurance, it can be free (even transportation within a 300-mile range can be reimbursed). Of course, people from other areas are also welcome to apply for this treatment.

The gel is easier to use in that the flow can be controlled better to keep the ethanol in the VM and out of the draining veins. It also seems to be staying in the VM and treating it better with less recanalization so far.

Previous work in Europe shows that it takes about half as much to treat same size VM, safety looks good, efficacy looks good.
Contact information: Dr. Sally Mitchell 410-614-2227 or 410-502-6611, Gina Robinson study coordinator, 410-502-3628.

S.E.Mitchell, MD
Professor of Radiology, Surgery, & Pediatrics
Director, Pediatric Interventional
Director, Vascular Anomalies Interventional
Assoc Director, Image Guided Interventional Procedures
Assoc Section Chief, Vascular and Interventional Radiology
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
600 N. Wolfe Street, Blalock 545
Baltimore, MD 21287
Phone: 410-955-6358
Fax: 410-955-0233
email: smitche@jhmi.edu

Posted by Lise Daoust
http://www.anomalievasculaire.org
Old 05-29-2009, 01:58 AM

Default Can you help?

My son has seen two different Dr.'s at Hopkins, Dr. Cohen who says there is nothing he can do and Dr. Rudnick who is interested in treating my son's AVM with a laser. I am open to suggestions. My son will be 4 in two weeks and starting school soon. He has an AVM on the right side of his face which extends from his eye to the lip. He has had 2 MRI's at Hopkins, I am just concerned and would like to see if he could start treatments prior to him starting school... Any advise would be great!