Does this sound like a Hemangioma appearing? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 05-27-2010, 06:13 PM

Default Does this sound like a Hemangioma appearing?

Hi,

I am new here. My baby girl is 7 weeks tmmw. At 4 weeks I noticed a tiny cluster of bright red flat dots on her scalp. I asked her ped and she said that it was a Hemangioma and that it might get bigger before it gets smaller. I had no clue what that meant. Now fast forward to today, it is currently the size of a pencil eraser and raised. I am so concerned and worried. Now my question is....

Because I am so worried and paranoid, I am looking at everything that's on her body and have noticed this tiny pink dot on her cheek. Its not hot pink like the one on her scalp but pink like when you blush or a pink pimple. Its the size of a pinhead. Its not even flat its more like a hole(scar) but I know thats not possible. Babies skins are so flawless that I can't help but notice this, if I were to take a picture of it you probably couldn't see it unless it was a high megapixel camera. Does this sounds like a hemangioma appearing?

I have an appt for her with a ped dermatologist on Tuesday but I am so worried in the meantime about all of this...

Please let me know what you think and I am so glad to have found this site!
Old 05-27-2010, 09:16 PM

it could be, but it could also be a pimple, scratch, etc... try to relax and stay calm until your appointment. i know it is difficult, and i did the same as far as freaking out.
my daughter is 6 weeks and has a fairly large one that goes from above her right ear and down the back of her neck, one under her chin, 2 on her lip, and a very small place below her left ear. the one on the side of her head is by far the worst. luckily we got her into a ped. derm. and started treatment right away. she has been on propranolol for a little over a week and we have seen VAST improvement. she is also using timolol, which is topical.
take comfort in knowing that there are ways to treat these, and the earlier the better. you are getting your daughter into the dr. very early, so that is great! hang in there and let us know how the dr. goes.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:26 AM

I know it's so hard to stay calm and wait for your appointment. My 5 year old daughter has a lip hemangioma. It just looked like a faint bruise at birth but it grew much bigger later on and required some treatment. So when I had twin girls 16 months ago, the first thing I did was examine their skin over and over! Every day I was looking for the tiniest red dot! Sarah had some dry blood on her face and so I asked the nurse if she could try to wipe it off (she was in the Special Care Nursery) because I didn't know if it was a hemangioma forming. It came right off. The funny thing is that since they were in Special Care I mostly just looked at their heads and faces for the first week because they were usually all bundled up and I wasn't the one doing the diaper changes, etc. So after about a week one of the nurses said to me, "Oh, did you see the birthmark Rachael has on her hand?" I was like "WHAT?!!" I hadn't thought to check her hands! And sure enough, there it was...a hemangioma! It snuck right up on me! It grew pretty big and red, but didn't require any treatment. And eventually I noticed that her twin sister had a little one on her arm, about the size of a pencil eraser, like you mentioned. Hers has hardly grown at all. So I have 4 daughters and 3 have hemangiomas...all in different locations with different degrees of severity. It has shown me that every hemangioma is different and only time will tell what is going to happen. It's SOOOOOO HARD to wait though, especially when you have an appointment coming up and you are wondering what they will say. Anyway, I just thought I'd share my experience so you would know you are not alone. Good luck and keep us posted. (I bet that little one is just a scratch)
Shannon