Which hemangioma get bigger, in utero or after birth ones? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 05-27-2010, 06:17 PM

Default Which hemangioma get bigger, in utero or after birth ones?

Does anyone know, typically, which hemangiomas get bigger? The ones that are there at birth or ones that show up weeks after?

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2010, 09:18 PM

from what i have read, the ones present at birth typically don't get much bigger.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:11 PM

My son may be the exception to this rule,,,or it could be that there is just no way to tell other than closely monitoring. My sons nasal h was present at birth and got much bigger.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:41 PM

My daughter's was present at birth and has stayed pretty much the same size in the 7 months since she was born.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:14 PM

Is this a question about congenital hemangiomas (RICH or NICH) versus the more "typical" hemangioma?

The congenital hemangiomas do not grow after birth. If you mean that the "typical" hemangioma was in some way visible at birth, I don't think that is an indication of how much it will grow.

My youngest had two hemangiomas. The one on the cheek was visible at birth and was a nickel sized bunch of blue/purple blood vessels. We didn't notice the other one, on top of the head, until she was several days (or maybe a week) old. Of course, maybe it was there and we just didn't notice.

The one on the cheek was much larger than the one on top of the head. By two months, the cheek hemangioma was about 2 inches in diameter, protruded an inch from the face, but the other was only an inch in diameter, protruded a half-inch.

In any case, I don't think there is a good way of telling how large the hemangioma will become. I do think, however, if the hemangioma has not shown very rapid growth by the time the child is 3 or 4 months old, it is unlikely to become very large.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:36 PM

Lpm- I guess my dd's is a typical one, her pedi called it a strawberry hemangioma. It was not present at birth but right before 4 weeks I noticed 3 tiny flat red dots on her forehead and now 3 weeks later it has grown to about half centimeter in diameter and sticking out a lil. I am just trying to get an idea on what to expect....I know thats hard to tell.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarajustice80 View Post
Lpm- I guess my dd's is a typical one, her pedi called it a strawberry hemangioma. It was not present at birth but right before 4 weeks I noticed 3 tiny flat red dots on her forehead and now 3 weeks later it has grown to about half centimeter in diameter and sticking out a lil. I am just trying to get an idea on what to expect....I know thats hard to tell.
It's hard not to be anxious when you're not sure what to expect. Strawberry Hemangioma is sort of a generic term. We were told the same thing about my sons h at first. All you can really do is closely monitor it. I always found the best way to really tell what changes were taking place was by taking lots of pictures. Sometimes it's hard to tell since you see your child everyday.