General anesthesia on infants - risks/solutions? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 06-14-2010, 04:50 PM

Default General anesthesia on infants - risks/solutions?

Hi I have a beautiful 6 months old boy with PVS on his right cheek and ears with neck involvement.
He went through 2 laser treatments without GA as far. I am afraid putting him through GA after reading recent Times Magazine articles of possible links of repeated GA in infanthood and possible learning difficulties.
I'm attaching some photos for you to see how does he looks like post treatment.
The doctor tries his best, but there are some hits and misses... my baby is covered in red dots after the treatment rather than one red clean area that covers well the PVS, (as I've seen in some infant post treatment photos).
The treatment last couple of minutes each time, since we don't want to traumatize my baby too much. We haven't had a chance to treat ears/neck yet... ehh yep we may have to do many more treatment as a downfall of our choice..
I still don't know if I have made a good decision to put him through it without GA, yet I just couldn't do it knowing the known, as well as the suspected risks of it. Is anyone out there with similar problems and any solutions?
Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0119.JPG (76.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1675.JPG (87.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Administrator

The risks of GA are small.

Are they using a numbing cream? Something topical?

Missy
Old 06-15-2010, 02:33 PM

Yes, topical numbing cream.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Administrator

It's up to you, of course, but in all my time here, I've yet to hear of any problems with GA. Other parents will chime in soon. In the meantime, I'd encourage you to look for peer-reviewed evidenced based articles that either prove or disprove that GA will cause learning difficulties later in life.

Missy
Old 06-15-2010, 02:48 PM

Thank you. I based my decision on 1 article that goes on the internet and hit to Time magazine twice into health or science articles section. It stated that it may be causing latter problems/there is coloration, but that there is no clear evidence and new studies are now being undertaken to clearly demonstrate the effects of GA on infants. There is a lot of bias in the study and I understand that the PVS kids are generally healthy, so they are in different category. The results of such study are due in 5 years... not very helpful for me at the moment .
Old 06-15-2010, 02:50 PM

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...887206,00.html
Found the link..
Thank you!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Thanks for sharing the link!!

Missy
Old 06-29-2010, 02:02 PM

I have a 13 year old son with a PW on his left cheek and very close to his eye. He has had on an average 4-5 treatments a year since he was 11 mos. old, all under GA. Due to the proximity to the eye, it's too risky not to be under GA. We have never had an issues or complications..risks are so small for the amount of time he would be under..less than my son it sounds like. I feel my son is in such good hands that I just don't really worry or think about the risks anymore. Good luck to you..whatever you decide is the right thing.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:44 PM

Thank you for your reply
i still don't know what to do, I try to gather more information.
how did your boy go with his treatments? Does he has his birthmark still visible?
That's another of my worry- how long does it take/ or how many treatments to lighten the birthmark...? But I guess it is very individual.
I'm very worried of my little precious boy.
i have best doctor in business to deal with, so i guess i shouldn't worry too... ehh just being a mother.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:15 AM

Doti you may email me offline and I'll send you pictures if you'd like.

rhondageske@gmail.com