Propranolol side effect ... appetite loss - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 06-22-2010, 09:43 PM

Default Propranolol side effect ... appetite loss

I haven't been able to find anyone else who has had this problem with Propranolol. My daughter right after starting to take the medication for her Compound H's began to not want to eat .. she would eat 2-3 ozs (she is 5 months old... normally eats 7 ozs) and then stop and refuse to eat more .. it will literally take me an hour to feed her... forcing her to eat really. Only the morning goes off without too much of a fuss but still a little.
I have found it listed as a side effect for propranolol but nothing in relation to infants .. only on the normal drugs side effect list.
Anyone else experience this?
The doc has decided to ween her off of it and see what happens.
I really wanted this medicine to be ok ... it was doing so well for her nose H.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Administrator

There's not a whole lot known or published about the use of the drug in infants. I would imagine that if it can be a side effect in an adult, it could certainly be one in children too.

Missy
Old 06-23-2010, 02:50 AM

My child has not had any problems eating. However, my pediatrician and the physicians who started the administration of propranolol on my son stated that if he had a loss of appetite or eating habits changed to let them know. They said it could be a sign of low blood pressure. I am sure your little girl is just fine, but I would definitely let the doctor ween her off. If she starts eating more then you will have your answer. She may only need a lower dose of medicine. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:43 PM

My Daughter is about to turn 1 and has been on Propranolol since January.

She's in the 95% in weight. I was wondering if the medicene caused an Increased appetitie.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:43 AM

What I seem to have realized is that I tend to associate many things (i.e reflux, stomach upset) as being a side effect of propranolol when in fact they have nothing to do with the drug. It's hard to rule out a specific cause to the symptom's our little ones are showing as their can be many factors other than propranolol alone. In my son's case most of his symptoms are likely related to him being premature rather than the propranolol. The older my son gets the less symptoms he seems to have (such as the ones mentioned), and my son is still on propranolol at 6months.