Any toddlers started on propranolol after 18 months? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 06-23-2010, 02:58 AM

Default Any toddlers started on propranolol after 18 months?

My daughter has a hemangioma on her lower lip that ulcerated 3 times as a baby. We went back to the derm. last week to see about propanolol to help speed the involution phase. Our Derm. was going to email a picture of Taryn's lip to a hematologist that currently has 54 babies on it to get his opinion. Taryn's Hemangioma has not gone away much at all, and will likely be there until she is 9. She will also probably need some cosmetic surgery eventually. So I am looking for information on toddlers started on propanolol and if it worked.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Hi and welcome!

There are lots of parents here with children on propanolol, but I can't think of one that is over one year. But it's early.

If she will need surgery eventually, why not consult a surgeon now? If it is in the involution phase, you could skip the drug altogether, right?

Missy
Old 06-29-2010, 01:19 PM

Our 5 year old used it and it reduced the H dramatically, so much so that the surgeon brought forward the surgery by a year.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:58 PM

Our daughter is on propranolol and she will be 1 next week. We just started it about 5 weeks ago. Her hemangiomas were already starting to show flecks of gray and involution before we started the propranolol. We've noticed about a 15-25% reduction in size, but that was within the first couple of weeks and the shrinkage seems to have stagnated. We are seeing the dermatologist next week, and I guess he'll let us know if he thinks it will reduce the size more and we should keep her on it.
I know you were asking about kids a little older than my daughter, but I thought I would pitch in since she's almost a toddler. I'll keep you posted on whether our derm says she should stay on the propranolol or if it's a lost cause this late in the hemangioma game.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:06 PM

We are going to start Taryn on propranolol this week. Hoping for some results to speed this thing along. I will also keep everone informed. The hematolgist at the U of M has recently started 3 kids over the age of 1 on proranolol so hopefully everyone will see some drastic improvements.