Laser without anesthesia? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 07-09-2010, 05:20 PM

Default Laser without anesthesia?

Hi everyone,

I have not been on here in a few months. We have a 9-month old daughter who was born with a segmental hemangioma on her face (beard distribution). Thanks to an aggressive treatment with steroids for the first six months, and then propranolol, which she is still taking, she is doing quite well.

She is being treated by the dermatology team at UCSF, and we have been offered laser treatment without anesthesia starting at 10 months. While we'd love to go ahead and do the treatments, we are a bit nervous about doing so without anesthesia.

Have any of you done this, and how did the child handle it? Was there any lingering trauma? Our daughter suffers from serious reflux apart from the hemangioma, and she has some feeding refusal issues, so we are nervous about doing stuff too close to her mouth that could worsen the refusal.

Any insights would be appreciated. I attach a picture from when she was a couple of months old, and one taken just a few days ago, since I know many parents on here want to see changes effected by steroids and propranolol; the hemangioma looks a bit paler on the recent picture than in real life, but the difference from when she was smaller is still very noticeable.

Thank you,
Ellie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 112209_2.jpg (46.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2543.JPG (35.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-10-2010, 01:46 AM

Wow your daughter looks awesome!! We have done 6 lasers on our baby since she was a month old...she's now 6 months (small but stubborn cheek hemangioma). All were without anesthesia. She did cry a little and I was told it feels like a rubber band hitting their face - not pleasant, but not super horrible. We are now stopping laser until she's 1 because it's stopped the growth and dulled the redness. When she's 1 the Dr. said he will need to use a type of gas anesthesia - but this is to do a more aggresive laser that needs to be more precise than the regular pulse dye laser. I wish he could do it without anesthesia, but I also don't want to be cruel to my daughter so I'm still on the fence about whether we will do it. The only issue is your daughter is already 10 months now so she may remember things more and be scared by the laser, but maybe try it once and if she reacts badly just cuddle her lots and decide if you want to continue (they can also numb the area with a topical medicine that should help dull the pain).
Old 07-10-2010, 03:05 AM

Thanks, ADev. That is really good information. The rubber band analogy gives me a better idea of what this feels like than anything else I have been told. As you suggest, we'll probably try it once and decide whether to continue based on that. Thank you.
Ellie
Old 07-10-2010, 09:42 PM

We have had two laser treatments and are scheduled for one next week. Our daughter's H is on her nose and she is almost three months now. We haven't used anesthesia for any of her laser treatments. She doesn't even cry when she gets them, she just flinches. She does not seem in any pain when we get home. We were told that is feels like a rubber band as well.

I hope that helps
Old 07-11-2010, 04:23 AM

When my daughter was given laser treatments they would put a numbing cream twenty minutes before hand. It was LMX4 and it seemed to work, she never flinched during the treatment.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:15 PM

I guess it all depends on if the h is ulcerated or not. They had to put our daughter to sleep because the ulcerations were so bad and she was in so much pain. She healed and 90% of her h is scar tissue from ulcerations. There are new ulcerations coming through the old scar tissue where it has previously ulcerated. I just wish it would stop for her. Our daughter had been on steroids when she was 1 and a half weeks old because it had doubled in size since she was born in just that small amount of time. Then her h got to the size of a tennis ball and her h is on her left cheek jaw up. They put her on propranolol which worked super fast. You could see a huge difference in the size the second day on treatment. She was doing fine until about a month ago and it started growing again. She has been on propranolol since she was a month and a half old. She just turned five months on the 11. They put her on a five day plan of steroids and it didn't even seem to work at all. So we are just sticking with the propranolol treatment for now and see if she stops ulcerating.

Your daughter looks amazing.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:31 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies.
tashiestamp: So sorry to hear about the hard time your daughter is having. I guess it all goes to show that these hemangiomas respond differently to different treatments in different children. We were lucky that the steroids were able to stabilize our daughter's hemangioma: she did become very toxic from them (did not gain any length between 2-4 mos) and we are thrilled to be off them, but we also know that without them we could have had some serious problems. She ulcerated when we first tried to wean her around 4-5 months but once that healed we were able to wean her fully around 7 months, when she was already on a full dose of propranolol. I hope your daughter gets better soon.
Ellie