Cosmetic Surgery Outcomes? - Page 2 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 08-04-2009, 06:10 PM

The "wait and see" approach is very popular in the US as well. It pretty much depends what type of doctor you talk to, but unless it is a surgeon they will most likely tell you to wait if it is not causing a physical problem. The plastic surgeons seem to understand better the emotional issues attached to hemangiomas.

We were also told Louise would be left with significantly saggy skin that could be corrected later if we chose to. I did not want her to go through the years of comments to reach that point and then have surgery anyway. So we decided to do it early and are very pleased. Also, the elasticity of such young skin is supposedly very helpful in the healing process and later scar fading.

Mariah-
I am so sorry about your father. Your family has been through so much.

I'm sorry your insurance will not cover the hemangioma excision. I'm sure Dr. Reinisch knows what companies do and do not but it may be worth a call to the insurance company just to be sure there is no way around it. We had Blue Cross of Idaho at the time of Louise's surgery and we dealt with a wonderful person there who helped us through the process along with Dr. Reinisch's staff. Louise's surgery was significantly covered, but not 100%. I think it may have been 90/10, but I am not sure. If switching insurance companies is an option for your family maybe it is worth looking into. I can not say enough good things about Dr. Reinisch and the work he does so I would highly recommend trying to get him to help you if you can.

Good luck!!
Rory
Old 08-05-2009, 02:15 PM

Default Jen/everyone

Jen- thanks for the pictures. The change over time is remarkable- they did a great job!!
I am not sure now if my wait and see docs are just putting me off. Everyone says since it is a reputable hospital (the best in our province and one of the best in the country) that we should trust their opinion.
But, I don't want sagging skin left behind either..and if their skin has more elasticity now, I would rather push for the cosmetic surgery now rather than wait until later. Besides, her H could be here until she is 9!
I also just want the negative comments to stop, it is getting more and more painful for us as parents and I can't imagine what she will go through if we wait until it goes away on its own (like at a later age of 9 or so).
I find that the docs here in Canada are not that sympathetic at all- they just say "oh it'll go away, don't worry."
Old 08-12-2009, 04:28 PM

we havent had the cosmetic part done yet, only the removal. the cosmetic part they are wanting to wait until shes about 4. but here is avas site.

Jessica Ball
www.caringbridge.org/visit/avaball
Old 08-12-2009, 09:39 PM

Jessica, is there a reason why they are waiting until she is 4? Do you know if they have a better outcome or if it is safer if they wait until a child is a bit older?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:40 PM

BTW, your daughter Ava is GORGEOUS! And the surgery they did is awesome!
Old 08-13-2009, 01:01 PM

thanks! shes a precious little thing! and always trying to make us laugh. they wanted to wait until she was 4 to see if some of her "baby fat" would be gone by then. they wanted to see what her arm would look like with the baby fat gone before they started cosmetic surgery. she has a puffy part on her arm near the crook of her elbow that has a lot of baby fat. once that is gone, they can get a better idea of what they need to do with the scar. they will also have to do laser treatments for hair removal at one time or another since her armpit skin is now on her shoulder.

Jessica Ball
Old 08-13-2009, 02:27 PM

Hi Jessica, that makes sense. I am wishing our daughter could hurry up and have the surgery part (I understand the wait and see approach but it is so hard to wait and we're always worried we are doing the wrong thing). The cosmetic surgery will look great on your daughter too when it is done...she already looks so amazing and they did such a great job!
Old 08-14-2009, 03:53 PM

if you dont totally agree with the wait and see approach, try a second or even thrid opinion. i wasnt happy with the wait and see approach and thats when i came across the dr that did avas surgery. good luck. contact me if you have any questions.

Jessica Ball
Old 08-28-2010, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwrw View Post
If you are interested in other opinions regarding sugery or other options, you may try just contacting surgeons or other doctors. I found names and recommendations from other parents on this site and just started emailing and calling. I was able to email Louise's picture to the doctors and they were very good at getting right back to me. In our case we narrowed it down to Dr. Waner (NY) and Dr. Reinisch (LA). Then, one evening about 8pm Dr. Reinisch called us at home and spoke to us for about 45 minutes. He was amazing, caring and made us feel completely comfortable. We ended up scheduling surgery with him, all at a distance as we lived in Idaho at the time. His office helped us figure out how to handle insurance claims and the other aspects. I know he does surgery on children from all over the world so they may be able to advise you on the cost and coverage aspect. He was at Children's Hospital in LA at the time we saw him but he is now at Cedars Sinai.

WHen they put Louise in my arms after her surgery it was an amazing experience. We always thoguht she was beautiful but she looked like a different child. We are very glad we made the decision we did. However, it is a very individual and personal one.

Good luck!! Please keep me posted
Would you mind posting some pictures of your daughter's forehead? My daughter also had hers removed with Dr. Reinisch. Overall, he did a great job and her forehead looks much better. She is left with some dog ears on either end of the scar that are not the greatest looking, so we are seeking scar revision treatment now. Did you experience this at all? Thanks for your reply!
Old 09-05-2010, 01:25 AM

my daughter also had a large forehead H removed at 12 months of age. Dr. Waner thought involution unlikely and we would be left with that saggy skin, etc. that would require surgery eventually anyway. So we figured now rather than later so she wouldn't have to deal with social/psychological issues. She does have a scar, but unless you knew to look for it, you wouldn't know.