Propranolol for Hemangioma - Page 2 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 09-24-2010, 09:12 PM

Hi!
Here is an update of my daughter's segmental Hemangioma with some pictures. We started giving her Propranolol on April 2010 when she was 2 months old and she has not had any side effects. We are giving her 2mg/Kg/day and checking her blood pressure and heart rate once a week.
Over time we have seen dramatic results. However the H is still there and might affect her eye growth. Right now we are patching her good eye 30 minutes a day to prevent a "lazy eye".
I hope this helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Apr1.jpg (71.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Apr2.jpg (52.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Aug1.jpg (60.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Aug2.jpg (73.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-25-2010, 12:59 PM

I will be sending some photos of the hemangioma on my son's nose to Missy to see if she can upload them.

Photo 1 was taken when he was 4 days old. The light pink mark was present at birth.

Photo 2 was taken when he was 1 month old. The hemangioma had gotten bright red by the time he was 2 weeks old.

Photo 3 was taken when he was 3 months old. When I took this photo, he had been on steroids for about a month. It was still bright red but for that first month that he was on steroids, the steroids seemed to control the hemangioma's growth. But then, it started to get bumpy. I emailed this photo to his doctor and he was started on Propranolol a few days later.

Photo 5 was taken a couple weeks ago. He is 5 months old now. It's hard to tell from the photo, but the hemangioma is lighter in color and there are some flesh colored spots. Also, the bumpiness is gone and it's pretty smooth and flat.

I will update with more pictures in the future to show how he's doing on Propranolol.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Default pics!

Here ya go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4-days-old.jpg (4.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1-month-old.jpg (7.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3-months-old.jpg (3.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 5-months-old.jpg (6.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-25-2010, 04:55 PM

Kelly--I am liking the results of propanolol too. I see your son must have started around 8 months? My daughter started around 5 months and she is now almost 13 months. I was kind of bummed when we started to ween her off and her hemangioma went back up. Any talk of when you will be weening your son off? Would love to talk with you more on this.
Takes 3 doses per day at 1.3ml
2nd Weaning of prop. not a success back on it March 22. Only one dose of 1.3ml now- 19 months old Did Timolol gel for awhile, stopped, & back on - 4 years old. Off of Timolol -doesn't seem to be doing anything. Surgery was a success!!! April 2014
http://lexihemangiomapropanolol.blog...roduction.html
Old 09-29-2010, 05:55 AM

My daughter has the same hemangioma! I'll send Missy some pictures to post. She started propranolol at 3 months and is now 5 1/2 months. The results have been incredible! We tried topicals with very little improvement before starting propranolol. Her dermatologist said to expect to have her on propranolol for at least another few months.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Default pics

Here ya go!

She's a cutie-patootie!

Missy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3months-a.jpg (4.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 4months-a.jpg (4.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 5months-a.jpg (4.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-29-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annina View Post
Hi!
Here is an update of my daughter's segmental Hemangioma with some pictures. We started giving her Propranolol on April 2010 when she was 2 months old and she has not had any side effects. We are giving her 2mg/Kg/day and checking her blood pressure and heart rate once a week.
Over time we have seen dramatic results. However the H is still there and might affect her eye growth. Right now we are patching her good eye 30 minutes a day to prevent a "lazy eye".
I hope this helps!
does your daughter have a hemangioma above her eye on eyebrow too? thats where my daughter's is. i've never seen anyone else with one like hers' and where it is at. your little girl is goregous by the way. looks great!
Takes 3 doses per day at 1.3ml
2nd Weaning of prop. not a success back on it March 22. Only one dose of 1.3ml now- 19 months old Did Timolol gel for awhile, stopped, & back on - 4 years old. Off of Timolol -doesn't seem to be doing anything. Surgery was a success!!! April 2014
http://lexihemangiomapropanolol.blog...roduction.html
Old 09-29-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RsMom View Post
My daughter has the same hemangioma! I'll send Missy some pictures to post. She started propranolol at 3 months and is now 5 1/2 months. The results have been incredible! We tried topicals with very little improvement before starting propranolol. Her dermatologist said to expect to have her on propranolol for at least another few months.
It looks like she's doing great on Propranolol! My son has been on it for about the same amount of time as your daughter. It's controlled the hemangioma from growing, but the results haven't been quite as dramatic as what I see with your daughter. Still, I'm pleased with how Propranolol has been helping my son

He's currently on 1.2 ml twice/day. How much does your daughter take? I'm wondering if being on more Propranolol would help my son's hemangioma even more.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:22 PM

She takes 1 ml 3 times a day. She weighs about 14-15 pounds. The dose is periodically adjusted according to her weight. It has been about a month since our last derm visit so it may go up a bit when we go back next week. I feel grateful that propranolol is an option for our babies now!
Old 09-29-2010, 08:52 PM

Thanks Kelly and JacobsMom! Our appt with Dr. Frieden is Monday Oct 4 so I will let you all know how it goes. I'm sending some pics to that email address as we speak.

It's so nice to have this forum, people just do not seem to understand these birthmarks. I keep hearing about how common they are, but people really do stare, point and ask what it is. It's so strange to me--I just don't think I ever would have done that!