Birthmarks on head. Removal options? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 11-05-2010, 01:05 PM

Default Birthmarks on head. Removal options?

I have a "stork bite" birthmark on the back of my head and a darker birthmark at the side of my head above my ear. As far as I remember I was told it was a port wine stain (the birthmark is flush with the skin...just a different colour).

Obviously these generally wouldn't be a concern for someone because their hair would cover them but I like to shave my hair very tight because of hairloss. I'm male by the way.

I went to clinic which does laser treatment on birthmarks about two years ago.
They told me that although they would be able to remove the birthmarks, the laser would also damage the hair follicles which would result in bald patches where the birthmarks used to be. This would more than likely look a worse than the situation I have right now.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions that go beyond make up?
Is there any other treatment that would be available to me or is this something that I'll just have to live with?

Thanks.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Hi and welcome!

Try asking Dr. Nelson via our Ask the Expert: http://birthmark.org/experts.php and he will let you know what your best options are.

Missy
Old 11-07-2010, 12:06 PM

Thanks for your help Missy.

Hopefully I won't have to wait too long for a reply from Dr. Nelson
Old 11-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Actually, Dr. Nelson is usually pretty prompt. Most of our volunteer doctors are. If you don't hear from him by mid-week, let me know.

Take care and let us know what your options are and what you decide to do! As long as you're not growing a mullet, I'm behind it!! LOL

Missy
Old 11-19-2010, 04:52 AM

Missy, I also sent a question to Mr. Nelson, but he havent replied me yet. It is now around a 3 weeks to 1 month...I would wait of course furtherly, I understand he has so much work, I just wouldnt like that happens my email would disappear somehow....
Old 11-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Administrator

I have an email from him to you that was copied to me on the 7th of Sept. I have also submissions to other experts, as well. I forwarded his reply to you from that date this morning, but if you are missing other replies, let me know.

Thanks!
Missy