Nevus of Ota? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Adults Living with Birthmarks

Old 12-01-2010, 03:07 PM

Default Nevus of Ota?

Hi,

I am 32 and have a Nevus of Ota birthmark around my left eye. Basically my birthmark makes me look like I have a black eye and there is no shortage of people who ask me "what happened?". I have only recently found out what the official name of my type of birthmark is. Most of the resources I have found online pertain to PWS marks. This is mainly because my type of mark is most prevalent in Asian countries (I'm not Asian -- just lucky I guess! :-).

Does anyone else on this forum have Nevus of Ota? If so, I'd love to connect. I'd also love to connect with anyone who has any type of facial birthmark.

I do use make up and it works okay -- not 100% coverage, but I don't like to be without it.

Looking forward to "meeting" others. Thanks.

Dee
Old 12-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Hi Dee,

Just wanted to say welcome!

Missy
Old 12-18-2010, 03:21 AM

Question Same here

I am now 21 with the same birth mark, except mine is on my right eye. I have no idea what the birthmark is other than the fact that it is "a dark blue lesion covering the cheek, forehead, and/or eye and is most commonly found in Asia." Any other research besides this??
Old 01-26-2011, 06:56 PM

Default nevus of ota

any information on this would be greatly appreciated. already sees a dermatoligist and eye doctor. should see a neurologist also?
Old 02-23-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeinkc View Post
Hi,

I am 32 and have a Nevus of Ota birthmark around my left eye. Basically my birthmark makes me look like I have a black eye and there is no shortage of people who ask me "what happened?". I have only recently found out what the official name of my type of birthmark is. Most of the resources I have found online pertain to PWS marks. This is mainly because my type of mark is most prevalent in Asian countries (I'm not Asian -- just lucky I guess! :-).

Does anyone else on this forum have Nevus of Ota? If so, I'd love to connect. I'd also love to connect with anyone who has any type of facial birthmark.

I do use make up and it works okay -- not 100% coverage, but I don't like to be without it.

Dee
Dee,

hello! i read your post and it sounds like you have exactly what my 16 year old daughter has. she has the nevus of ota in her left eye and left temple. and just recently it has spread all the way around her left eye, and yes it looks like a bruise. i would love to talk with you and discuss some things. have you had it since birth? has it grown or spread at all? my daughter sees a dermatologist and opthamologist yearly, but wondering if she should also see a neurologist? ah i just have so many questions im sorry! noone seems to have answers for me. cant wait to hear back from you!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:22 AM

Dee,

hello! i read your post and it sounds like you have exactly what my 16 year old daughter has. she has the nevus of ota in her left eye and left temple. and just recently it has spread all the way around her left eye, and yes it looks like a bruise. i would love to talk with you and discuss some things. have you had it since birth? has it grown or spread at all? my daughter sees a dermatologist and opthamologist yearly, but wondering if she should also see a neurologist? ah i just have so many questions im sorry! noone seems to have answers for me. cant wait to hear back from you!
Old 03-16-2011, 08:51 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeinkc View Post
Hi,

Dee
Hi Dee, I have a blue green birthmark which covers 25% of my face, including my right eye. It's become darker and larger as I've aged. I have two really fabulous dermotologists in my area who keep an eye on it for me. I had a biopsy a couple of years ago and thankfully there was nothing to worry about. I used to never go without my make because I was tired of people asking me what happened. I'm older now and don't care. Plus I've been able to help younger people when they see that they aren't the only one out there.

There is medical make up available now whichi is very good. It's expensive but it matchers your skin perfectly. I'm not Asian, but as I age, I get asked that question more often and even Asians think I'm 1/2 Asian. So possibly my ancestors may have come from the region of Ota.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:40 PM

Default Nevus of Ota

Anyone has been told by their Dermatologist for laser treatment? I know a lot of Asian are doing laser to remove them. I have a niece who has it snce birth. Could you please contact me so we can talk?
Old 03-18-2011, 03:06 PM

Default Nevus of Ota since birth

Hi Ladies: Sorry forgot to leave my email address on my last post: worldusma@yahoo.com.

Areli: Your daughter has it since birth? My niece had it since she was a few months old. My sister is thinking a laser surgery for her before school (She is 41/2 now). But our biggest concern is if the laser will leave any scar? I would love to connet with you on sharing somethings.

Look forward to hearing from all of you!
Old 04-01-2011, 06:44 AM

Default nevus of ota

hi i am asian and 33 yrs of age. I got same thing as Dee. Yes, there is a laser treatment for nevus of ota but my doctor says just use a banishing cream to fade my birthmark. It is because i got brown (tan) color skin. He said the mark that the laser would leave might be worse that it is now.

I just can't wonder why my birthmark tends to change in color. Sometimes it is red...that's why people thought someone have slapped me. Other time it is really dark and kinda blue so it looks like a bruise and other times it matches the color of my skin. My mom said maybe it depends on my mood and other superticious people says it depends on the moon....lol. I remember at my work...It had been two months I was working there when they noticed I had a birthmark...Everybody got worried and said to me "what happened to you?...is everything ok?...I'm like "yes" why? They said you can tell us if someone hurt you....be open. And I was like...what are you saying? Then they pinpoint my birthmark ...i said it's not a bruise it's my birthmark...I touched it and pinch it saying.."see".
I know sometimes it is too tiring to explain so right now to cover it up a lil bit, I use foundation and concealer. Sometimes I think and pray I hope it will be gone....but other part of me says I had it for so many years why remove it.
My birthmark actually a blessing in disguise for me when i was a lil kid. I tend to get lost in the mall but they could easily find me because of my birthmark. When they give my description...Voila....here she is!...lol

Last edited by Cristledon : 04-04-2011 at 06:50 AM.