Back-to-work & Propranolol - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 02-09-2011, 05:52 PM

Default Back-to-work & Propranolol

Hi All,

I know that this is a personal decision and I will tread very lightly but I am curious to know how many of you have gone back to work while administering propranolol for your child.

Long story short, I was hoping to go back into the work field after my daughter turned 6 months old (next month) but with the challenges of making it outside once and a while, I'm not sure how this will work out. Working from home is ideal but the opportunities seem limited. My husband and I have been toying with the idea of finding a job close by to a daycare center to pop in and give her the medication but knowing that daycares are the feeding grounds of germs/endless colds, we're a bit hesitant. I would love to hear how you have made it work while juggling care for your child with propranolol.

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:52 PM

My husband and I both worked the entire time our daughter was on propranolol. We only had to give it to her twice a day so it was easy to just keep it at home and give it to her at morning and night. If you can keep it that way, it's ideal, but if you have to give it to her three times a day most daycare centers are pretty okay about giving medicine.
Does your daughter have other issues that might make daycare dangerous for her? You mentioned the challenges of getting outside once in a while so I wasn't sure if she had other mobility needs or was fragile.
Good luck!
Old 02-10-2011, 05:14 AM

Ah, two times a day definitely does help! Our daughter is in great health (thank goodness!) but we were told by our cardiologist that if she were to get a cold, especially any stomach virus to stop propranolol until she became well. So we are a bit concerned that she may get the typical colds/sickness at daycare and not be able to take the drug regularly because of it. But sounds like it may not be a big issue as we were told?
Old 02-10-2011, 06:51 PM

HI jennacl. Our daughter also takes propanolol but twice a day so administering it during daycare hours has never been an issue. With regards to her getting colds/flu, I have to say that our daughter has had quite a few colds as well as strep throat and an ear infection all while in daycare and while taking propanolol. We were never told to stop administering it to her at any time and were even told to continue the propanolol while she was on the antibiotic for both infections. Unless your daughter has underlying medical conditions that would require to stop propanolol when she's sick?

Hope this helps