Advice/Questions: 4mths old and 3yr old - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2011, 02:07 AM

Default Advice/Questions: 4mths old and 3yr old

Hi,

Both my daughters have hemangiomas. My 3 year old, Kaylie, has 3: a large one on her upper arm, one large and one smaller one on her tummy (she also has stork marks on her eye lids and a line in the middle of her forehead which don't show very much). On a good note the hemangiomas have considerable reduced in size now!
My 4 months old, Millie, has 2: one on her forehead and one at the back of her head (and light stork marks on her eyelids). The hemangiomas are still getting bigger and I'm afraid they'll get as big as her sister's.

We lived in England until 3 months ago (now in Illinois, USA) and when we had Kaylie we were told there was nothing that could be done about her birthmarks and they would go away with time. When Millie was born we were told again that nothing could be done and since they don't disturb her vision we shouldn't worry about them. As they keep on getting bigger I am getting a little concerned as to how this will effect her self esteem when she gets older. Kaylie never had any problems as we are able to cover her birthmarks so no one has ever made any comments (she doesn't wear tops with no sleeves as she used to get "looks" when she was a baby and I didn't want her to have to deal with this when older). However as Millie's birthmarks are very obvious we do get a lot of comments from adults and children (who point them out etc) every time we're with a group of people, at the moment she's too young to notice but I can imagine this won't be very nice when she's older and understands what's going on.

It's only now after googling about it that I've learnt that there are other options than just leaving them. Our new pediatrician here also told us "to wait and see; they'll go away on their own" usual speech. As they are quite large though won't the stretched skin still remain if they do eventually totally disappear? After looking at before/after photos of babies using Propranolol I wonder if we should be giving this a try or not? Would laser treatment be effective? Does anyone know if Millie's likely to have a bald spot where her hemangioma is? Sorry for all the questions! I'm not sure who to turn to for advice since the pediatrician doesn't seemed bothered. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Stefany (Naperville, IL)

Photos (Kaylie's photos are in the next comment as I was limited to posting 4)

Millie (4mths old)

Last edited by Stefany : 02-13-2011 at 02:14 AM.