Daughter's laser treatment/talking with teacher about it... - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 02-28-2011, 10:41 PM

Default Daughter's laser treatment/talking with teacher about it...

Hi there!
My kindergartener is going to have her first laser treatment in a couple of weeks on her hemangioma...what's left of it..the redness under her nose and above her lip. I'm going in to talk to her teacher about it tomorrow just to let her know what to expect, etc. Problem is, I don't really know what to expect either?
-Anyone else had a young school age child having laser? What did it look like for the few days after?
-Do you have any advice on what I should tell the teacher? What should my daughter say if kids ask about? What should I ask the teacher to do to help her with the looks/comments? Any advice?

Thanks,
Shannon
Old 02-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Hi Shannon!

I would simply tell the teacher what's going on and that you don't know what to expect. Every laser procedure I've seen has involved redness and swelling.

You should tell your daughter to tell the truth about it ... that she had laser treatment and it will heal soon. After the first few hours, there might not be any comments or looks.

When my oldest was in K5, there was a girl in his class that had to have extensive facial reconstruction surgery. I was really surprised at how that child looked when she went back to school, but my son was very "whatever ... I don't like girls" about it. No one teased her at all. I was amazed. Adults don't act that well and those five year olds showed a lot of grace.

But, it's OK to just say, "I have no idea what to expect," to the teacher. Most likely, that teacher knows which of the students are likely to act up over it and will stop it before it starts.

Will be thinking of you on that day!! Do come back and let us know how things go.

Missy
Old 03-02-2011, 01:53 AM

Thanks Missy! I met with her teacher today and it went really great. I also bumped into the counselor when I was at the school and chatted with her about it and actually got a chance to share a bit more about Faith's hemangioma journey with her. She was amazed and I think both the teacher and counselor will be of great support to Faith. We have decided to keep it really low key and try not to make a big deal out of it, but just explain it for what it is (if the other kids ask), if needed.

Also, last night I emailed Leslie Graff and she gave me a lot of great advice as well and was so helpful. I really don't know how I would have made it through this hemangioma journey without VBF (and the old MSN site too )
People here have been amazing (you, Corinne, Donna Ducker, other friends I've made, the doctors who have emailed me, the parents who have shared their photos and experiences with me over the past 6 years )....I seriously would have been lost without this place....it has transformed a difficult experience into a blessing really. My only hope is that I can help others the way that you have all helped me.
Thanks,
Shannon
Old 03-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Shannon,

I hope Faith has an easy time of it. I hope you are as surprised by the kids as I was that one time.

And, thank you for the kind words. I have a child with a lifelong disability and I've come to see it as a blessing as well. Honestly, it sometimes felt like I was being punished, but our children bring with them so much joy!

What date is her procedure scheduled? I want to make sure I put it on my calendar so I can remember to ask after her. The older I get ... I swear, I've forgotten more than I knew, so I might have been told already!

Missy
Old 03-02-2011, 12:41 PM

Ha Ha! March 14th! I'm lucky if I can remember today's date!

shannon