Looking for a good place to get treatments again - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 04-15-2011, 09:30 PM

Default Looking for a good place to get treatments again

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good Dr in the MidWest for treatments? Or laser options?

In 2007, I started getting laser treatments again after about a 10-year lapse. My Dr used a YAG laser (he's the only available in the area who took our insurance). I saw him for a a year or so before he said he couldn't do anything more for me.

This past winter, I noticed my PWS was getting thicker/darker, tho it isn't starting to cobble-stone yet, I have noticed a few new blebs and it has darkened from my last treatment (nearly 3 years ago, i think) and would like to get it checked out. Insurance is no longer an issue since I have been dropped from my parent's policy (yay for getting older! lol), however cost is still a potential issue.

I live in S IL, have family in OK and go to school in TX and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I will be 24 in June, so a paediatric Dr is likely out of the question.

My PWS is on the left side of my forehead and extends from just above my hairline to the lower edge of my upper eye lid (it is not on my eye or on the "lip" of my eyelid). I currently don't want lasering done on the eyelid itself--just from my eyebrow up.

Thanks!
~Eri

Here are some pics showing my birthmark:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=5d6ada8942 roughly 1 year ago. Please ignore the wounds... I'd been kicked by a horse :/ I have fully healed & you can barely see where the stitches were

I can't seem to find any recent pictures, but once I do, I'll see if I can get them posted.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:32 AM
Administrator

Hi and welcome!

You might have more choice in Tx than Southern Il. Also, if you are there for 3/4 of the year, it might be more convenient.

Where in Tx are you in school?

Missy
Old 04-16-2011, 01:05 AM

I go to a Uni near Dallas. I'm also only about 2.5 hrs away from St Louis, so that's an option as well.

There was a place I found last year, but the lasering was done by an outside Dr, so I was not able to talk to him/her before hand, and no one gave me pre/post laser instructions, so I'm a little shy to go back there. I've also forgotten the name of the place and the type of laser they used (but my research said it was really effect & I was quite excited about it).
Old 04-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Administrator

You have lots of options in St Louis:

http://birthmark.org/node/47#missouri

I know they all say "Childrens Hospital" but call them anyway

How about http://birthmark.org/node/47#arkansas If you get in touch with Dr. Buckmiller, she might be able to see you.

Missy
Old 04-16-2011, 09:41 PM

Thank you!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:18 PM

Dr. Burns in Texas.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:56 PM

Nick, there are 2 Dr Burns listed for TX, but they both specify children. I'll be 24 by time I'm back down that way; do they also work on adults?