Experience with v beam laser? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 06-21-2011, 03:53 AM

Default Experience with v beam laser?

I am getting close to my appointment to have my first v Beam laser treatment done. I have a port wine stain on my cheek and side of nose, and part of my upper lip.

I have had several laser treatments as a kid and a teenager (I'm 32 now) but stopped because the procedure was so unpleasant for me. I have scarring from the argon laser treatment that I had as a very small child, and with the Yag laser as a teenager, I had some minimal scarring but mostly just hated it because it would get so swollen and turn black and purple for 2 weeks, and I had to keep ointment on it to keep it from cracking and drying. I was too embarrassed to leave the house like that so basically I would live in my bedroom for 2 weeks which was awful, especially in pre-internet days. The Yag laser actually worked pretty well to lighten the stain but I only had 2 treatments and I was worried about getting more scars. Figured if I waited long enough they would come out with something better.

Now I am ready to start treatment again since hearing about the vbeam, and am wondering if anyone who has been treated with older lasers has also had the vbeam, and how does it compare? I went for a consultation with a doctor here where I live, who thought I would need 4-5 treatments for significant lightening, and that it should heal enough to be able to put on makeup 5-7 days post treatment, and that is important to me since I never leave the house without it. She told me that I would be swollen for at least 2 days, and that after a week would be "ok." In 2 weeks I am flying to NYC for an appointment at the Laser and Skin Surgery Center and hoping for a good outcome.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:20 PM

I am sorry I can't compare the two lasers. I can tell you that your experience with the vbeam will likely be much better! I assume you are seeing Dr. Geronemus? You will still have the purpula, but keep moist with whatever product the doc recommends (typically aquapher or zinc oxide product). Vbeam seems to be a lot less likely to scar as well.

Good luck and keep us posted
Old 06-22-2011, 02:43 PM

Yes, I am seeing Dr. Geronemus. Thanks for the reply- yes, I have heard there will still be purpura but I've been told it last for a shorter period of time than older lasers. Hope that is true! I have also been told that it is less likely to cause blisters which was a problem for me with the Yag laser. I will post some updates after my treatment begins in July.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:40 AM

reply lately.

I have had 10th operation. my experience is that we will have less blisters and reduce time staying at home if you apply ice-bag carully as much as you can immediatedly after operation.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:43 PM

The icing question came up today on the msn support group (Facebook). Yes, I have been told you can ice treated area if swelling is an issue...but make sure you don't go over 20 min. as too cold too long can cause tissue damage. Ice it for 15min. then let the area warm back up for maybe an hour before icing it again. Good luck
Old 07-20-2011, 02:13 PM

Default Update

So I had the treatment done 9 days ago. It was swollen for about a day and a half, and dark purple for about 4 days. The procedure itself did not hurt at all, since they put numbing cream on the area. I am surprised by how fast it healed, compared to the YAG laser, which took a full 14 days to heal because of scabs and blisters that formed over the entire treated area.

I used ice for the first 2 days, but surprisingly the swelling did not last as long as I had expected, especially since my upper cheek was treated. The only problem I had was a small amount of crusting/ scabbing around my nose, and very dry, peeling skin starting at day 4. I was able to carefully apply thick, heavy makeup at day 5, and by day 7 my skin was less dry and makeup was easy to apply and remove with no discomfort. I've been using a very small amount of Aquaphor at night which is helping with the dryness.

Overall I am happy with it, and am waiting to see how effective it has been. As it is healing I can see lighter areas and some "skin colored" spots along with some darker discoloration from the laser that is getting lighter each day. I will definitely need multiple treatments but right now the doctor is unable to say how many. I plan to have my next treatment in the fall.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Administrator

So glad you are pleased!! Dr. Geronemous rocks, does he not?

Missy
Old 07-20-2011, 02:29 PM

I did not actually get to see Dr. Geronemus. I was supposed to see him, but the office called a couple of days before my appointment and told me that he had a "family emergency" and was out of town so I saw Dr. Anolik, who was very good also.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:13 PM

Glad you had a positive experience, let us know how much it lightens up in the next month or so!
Old 08-23-2012, 05:40 AM

Hi I call the center but they do not accept my insurance are you paying with insurance or out of your package?