Successful nasal hemangioma removal - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 12-14-2008, 01:41 AM

Thumbs up Successful nasal hemangioma removal

I wanted to share our story with the rest of the group; our 18 months old daughter developed a nose tip hemangioma at 3 months. After many months of desperation and research, we found a very experienced pediatric surgeon -Dr. William Hoffman- in San Francisco @ UCSF who had lots of experience with facial hemangioma removals. We decided to proceed with the surgery and were trying to find the perfect time for it -after the hemangioma stopped growing (about 9 months and before our daughter would start walking (thus falling and her nose and messing up the "nose job"). The surgery was performed June 07. It took about 1.5 hours and we were able to go home right after. The recovery was rough and nerve wrecking (watching her 24/7 and making sure she would not bump her nose, sleep on it, etc). The stiches healed really quickly. After about 1 month, the incision had almost disappeared. The swelling took about 5 months to subside. Now, at 6 months nobody can tell that she ever had any kind of surgery or hemangioma. It was a hard decision to subject our child to the surgery for "aesthetic reasons", but we are extremely happy with the result. Please feel free to contact me, if you have any questions. Larissa -Maya's mother-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b4 surgery profile.jpg (18.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg b4 surgery.jpg (14.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg one day after surgery.jpg (21.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 5months after surgery.jpg (18.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 12-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Those eyes!! Those EYES!! What a beautiful child!!

Thank you so much for coming and sharing and posting your photos. Your story is so important to other families and it really helps to see before and after pictures.

Take good care and keep coming back... you really can help other parents who are struggling with these same decisions and we thank you for it!

Missy
Old 10-19-2010, 04:11 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your photos. I have just found out that my 9 week old daughter has this same condition and I'm still trying to process everything and your pictures really helped me.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:47 AM

Thanks so much for posting. We just found out today that our little one who just turned 5 weeks got the same thing. Thinking it was just a bruised nose and got the shocked once started looking at pictures and then we found this site. Your pictures really helped us be postive and know that we can get the same done for our daughter. Nobody ever want to see their child go through a childhood of teasing and taunting. I am with you on the surgery procedure. Thanks again it really helped us.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:02 PM

Absolutely beautiful!
Old 06-29-2011, 05:06 AM

Hello Maya,

Thank you so much for giving me and my wife hope. When my son was 4 weeks old, we saw a red dot at the tip of his nose which we thought were baby acne since it appeared around the same time. He is now 7 weeks old and we were told of the shocking news by our pediatrician last week that he has hemangioma. It literally felt like someone knocked the wind out of me when I googled and found out what it was.

Can anyone suggest whether we should wait for the hem. to stop growing before doing the surgery or should we do it before it grows bigger and bigger?

thanks..
-tommy