Did your birthmark get in the way of getting a job? - Page 3 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Adults Living with Birthmarks

Old 08-04-2011, 02:49 PM

pc problems, can't access internet using my mom's blackberry via USB. I live close to the sea and it kills everything.

I know what my strenghts are but its nothing that will give me a career LOL terrible at maths. I use to draw. thinking about maybe getting into batik with my mom but its expensive, no market really for it. hate crafts lol I like being outdoors so field work is great for me but depends on the job.

I am thinking about getting into diaster management on a community basis. I am already a "first responder". But thats strictly voluntary an depends on the political climate and sometimes best to just back off.

i'd really like to find what i'm good at. And be confident. I made alot of mistakes in the survey. should of done better. I think i may have a learning disablitiy and i give myself double workload. I am my own worse enemy LOL but it was an important survey and people really test my patience borderlying on abusive and refusing to come out of their homes. The temptation to throw stones and break windows, trip car alarms .......hahahahahahahaha

i had kids running behind that car as i slowly cruised checking addresses.....sigh......they spotted my birthmark. I won't lie the thought to reverse and run them over cross my mind for a sec. just my luck it had to be school holidays
Old 08-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Administrator

I'd really like you to find what you're good at and be confident, too. Because I know you're a warm, smart, caring person and I wish you'd find a niche where you were happy. You know, where your environment matched your insides. I can see that you would be a good first responder, simply because I think your instinct is to drop everything and go help someone else.

Kids: School's out here for a couple more weeks and I've seen a few that I'd like to back over with the car too.

Hang in there! Drop me a line soon if you feel like talking more!

Missy
Old 08-06-2011, 01:34 AM

my environment would be a bar but i can't hear sh*t, don't remember all the drinks they want and can't check change LOL

i am waiting to hear if i have been approved to recieve disablitiy or social assistance. I don't want to stay on it forever. i hope my health issues will be sorted out. i did nothing at home for 2 weeks while i was working. afraid i'd get sick. hoping to have my gall bladder removed on the 16th. trying to get the house straightened out before that but can't over do it incase my birthmark swells, and i will have to wait again. it always feels like its threatening

thanks for the offer. i come on here to vent sometimes and read how others handle their problems. I know i am still very fortunate and its a good reminder of that when i come here.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Administrator

LOL @ bar!! My bartender can't seem to hear me, either!!

(((((kaykay))))))

Missy
Old 09-05-2011, 02:46 PM

All the jobs I've had previously didn't really care about my birthmark, but I think people react to a pws'd hand differently than a pws face. Then again, I haven't really tried for an office job, so if I see my interviewer staring, I'll let you know.

I myself think that they'd really want to hire me- if they ever want to frame me for office espionage, they could always confront me without any evidence. Whatever the reason, I'm always caught red-handed. Badum pish!
Old 09-09-2011, 04:23 PM

I just found an article yesterday. The article is about a survey that was done that showed that "one third of people with disfigurements do not feel confident applying for jobs they are qualified to do."

Here is the link to the article: http://admin.changingfaces.org.uk/do...2024.05.11.pdf

It is from the http://www.changingfaces.org.uk/Home website.

I don't like the word "disfigurement" but I think I fall into the 1/3 category of people they are talking about.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:32 AM

I am NOT qualified to work. just willing. But it is a constant thought in my head how does my birthmark affect the image of a company/business/office.

happy to say I'm finally on social welfare, not much but it helps. I don't want it to be pernament. And unfortunetly, if I am 'caught' working somewhere part time, people have a habit of reporting these things with hopes the job/social welfare is taken away
Old 09-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Administrator

I'm glad you have some kind of assistance, though. That's what it's supposed to do.... help you until you can find something.

Missy