Sleep disturbance on propranolol - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 10-30-2011, 04:45 PM

Default Sleep disturbance on propranolol

Hi! My son (who is almost 8 months old) started on propranolol 2 weeks ago for multiple hemangiomas. He has upwards of 15 easily noticable ones, with tons of little ones all over, plus scattered ones on his brain. About a week ago, he has started waking several times in the middle of the night, and the last two nights, he woke up and was up for 3 hours and refused to go back to sleep!

We did just move to Louisiana from Hawaii, and were travelling quite a bit before we arrived, so his sleep patterns havent been able to get back to "normal" because of that. We just don't know if anyone else has had issues with the sleep disturbances, and if you did, how long did it last? These sleepless nights are getting to all of us!! I'm sorry if this doesn't make much sense...sleep deprivation and all of that
Old 10-31-2011, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Hi and welcome!

I don't know the answer to that one, but others will be around soon! Just wanted to say hi,

Missy
Old 11-05-2011, 04:47 PM

Sorry, i don't know about the sleep issues. How is propanonol working for you child?
Old 11-08-2011, 12:07 AM

Hi!
My daughter has been on propranolol since August. I have not ever noticed sleep disturbances, although my derm said it can cause night terrors!

Jamie
Large Diaper Area Hemangioma w/ PELVIS Syndrome
Tethered Spinal Cord, Bladder Exstrophy/Cloacal Anomoly
Diagnosed with Rhabdomyosarcoma 3/19 begins 46 week Chemotherapy treatment 4/9
On Propanol 1.4mL/3 times daily
Old 11-19-2011, 06:33 PM

my daughter had been on it for a month and she never sleeps. Hers is located on her nose and is the size of a golf ball so i dont know if it's because she has a really hard time breathing or if it because of the drug how often does ur son get the medicine??
Old 11-19-2011, 10:48 PM

I was on it for a short time when I was pregnant and had insomnia. It is one of the side effects. It is strange because you are just not tired at all, its not like you cant sleep and are fatigued. When I got up to pee during the night (pregnant with twins, so was often) I had a hell of a time trying to fall back to sleep.