Nevus of Ota? - Page 2 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Adults Living with Birthmarks

Old 04-19-2011, 02:07 AM

Oh wow. I didn't realize that I had gotten so many replies to this thread. My apologies for not responding sooner.

I'm glad to find others who are experiencing similar reactions as I am. Most of the time I feel so alone...like today at work when coworker quietly asked me about my eye. It's so heart breaking for me.

@areli, yes, I have had my birthmark since birth. Though I do feel that it has gotten darker. I am biracial (white mother, black father) so my skin is fairly light/tan. I think when I was younger and played outside, my skin was darker and maybe my mark wasn't as noticable. It hasn't grown or spread...it's always been around my left eye and temple area. The only thing is I think it's a bit darker.

@havisfjc, do you know the name of the medical make-up? I started wondering if I have Asian ancestery too. I did read that while it's most common in Asians (Japanese), it's also common in Africans...so maybe that's where mine comes from.

@cristledon, wow, we are the same age and have the same birthmark. We're soul sisters!! :-)

I would love to chat further with any of you. My email is luv-italy [at] hotmail [dot] com.

Angel kisses,
Denene
Old 04-28-2011, 01:07 AM

I have the same exact problem on my left eye its really frustrating i tried four Q switched laser treatements but sadly it did not work out 4me.. its expensive so I stopped doing it especially after not seeing any good improvements...did anyone try anything else or is wanting to ? I'd love to know

Hud
Old 04-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Hi and welcome Hud!

You are welcome to try writing to Dr. Nelson via our Ask the Expert form here:

http://birthmark.org/experts.php

and he might have some suggestions for you. This particular forum is a little less busy than our others, so it might take some time for people to answer your question here.

Missy
Old 06-13-2011, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeinkc View Post
Hi,

I am 32 and have a Nevus of Ota birthmark around my left eye. Basically my birthmark makes me look like I have a black eye and there is no shortage of people who ask me "what happened?". I have only recently found out what the official name of my type of birthmark is. Most of the resources I have found online pertain to PWS marks. This is mainly because my type of mark is most prevalent in Asian countries (I'm not Asian -- just lucky I guess! :-).

Does anyone else on this forum have Nevus of Ota? If so, I'd love to connect. I'd also love to connect with anyone who has any type of facial birthmark.

I do use make up and it works okay -- not 100% coverage, but I don't like to be without it.

Looking forward to "meeting" others. Thanks.

Dee

I have one directly on my eyebrow. I all kinds of questions. The craziest one was " Did u purposely use eyeliner to make one if your eyebrows thicker?"
Old 06-17-2011, 09:09 PM

Default Nevus of Ota birthmark

I also have this type of birthmark, my left eye and temple. I had it since I was a few months old. I'm now 29yrs old and lately it seems darker. Actual my entire completion is getting dark. (I'm African America almond shade) its never really been a problem for me most people think its eye shadow. However the area around my temple is getting darker. I do remember after working on the job for months a coworkers noticed it and asked if my boyfriend hit me. It was funny to me that she just noticed it. Has anyone else experience this?

Last edited by sonvous1 : 06-17-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonvous1 View Post
I also have this type of birthmark, my left eye and temple. I had it since I was a few months old. I'm now 29yrs old and lately it seems darker. Actual my entire completion is getting dark. (I'm African America almond shade) its never really been a problem for me most people think its eye shadow. However the area around my temple is getting darker. I do remember after working on the job for months a coworkers noticed it and asked if my boyfriend hit me. It was funny to me that she just noticed it. Has anyone else experience this?
@sonvous1: Yeah, I sometimes get late reactions too. However, I have found that most people whom I see on a regular basis, like at work, don't often ask me about it. My questions usually come from complete strangers -- like cashiers when I'm shopping they will say "what happened to your eye?" This usually makes me feel terrible and I'm trying to think of something to say besides "it's my birthmark." I think I'll start saying "Nothing happened," because nothing happened. LOL. Or "what business is that of yours?" I just hate to be so defensive about my mark.

@sonvous1 I would love someone to chat with one-on-one, so please inbox me if you're open to communicating. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2011, 04:08 PM

Guys,
I am very glad to be here. When I read posts from you, I wondered how do these people know what has been happening with me.. I instantly feel connected with you people..
I have it on my left temple and its spreading on left cheek now.
Yeah, I also get late reactions from people..People all of a sudden ask, "what happened to your left eye? got hurt ?"
I have been using anti blemish creams but of no use. I have now decided to put on make up to avoid stares from people.

Last edited by Deeps : 12-10-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:03 AM

hello everyone,

Its so great to hear everyone's story here and realize that i'm not alone. I COMPLETELY empathize with you all - i'm 29 years old, of asian descent. I have a discoloration under my right eye, a little on my cheek, around my temples, and a little above my right eye as well. over the past decade, i've noticed the discoloration become more severe. I often get the "did someone hit you?" question, and i always feel uncomfortable because i don't know exactly what it is or how to explain it!

i've actually tried laser treatment a few years ago - went in for 3 sessions but saw no results from it (positive or negative). At $500/treatment, i definitely wished for something good =P

nowadays, i just layer on the concealer/powder in the morning. i always bring it around with me so i can touch up wherever i go which is very annoying since i'm an outdoorsy kinda gal.

has anyone tried skin whitening/hydroquinone products? not sure if it would work for folks like us, and wondering if it's worth a try...
Old 01-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Hi and welcome!

To answer your question: skin whitening or hydroquinone products will not work for any type of vascular birthmark. They work on the top layers of skin and to lighten a vascular birthmark, you have to get to the veins and blood vessels underneath. Don't waste cash on that.

Write to Dr. Nelson, though, via http://birthmark.org/experts.php and ask him specifically about what might work for people of asian descent. I know there have been developments in laser technology and perhaps there is something out there for you.

Missy
Old 01-12-2012, 03:00 PM

Default Laser treatment

Hello everyone, I'm 32 y/o of Chinese descendant and I also have Nevus Ota that covers a bit of my forehead, half of my left eye and half of my nose bridge. I don't remember having it during childhood and it appeared in my teens and seemed to get darker as I aged. And I notice too that whenever I get very upset of angry, the mark becomes significantly darker. I have oily skin with large pores so I seldom use powders and concealers...but I don't think I can ever live without my fringe covering parts of the mark.

Last year I started Medlite laser treatment with 3 -4 weeks interval, and so far had gone through 16 treatments in total. I see some improvements, but not TOTALLY happy with the result as there are still areas with visible dark marks. If there's anyone else who had gone for laser treatment to remove Nevus of Ota, I would like to hear more about your experience, i.e how many treatments, duration of intervals, or anything that you may care to share.