are there long-term side effects about general anesthesia for babies? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 01-12-2012, 03:52 AM

Default are there long-term side effects about general anesthesia for babies?

Hi,all

my son is now 7 month old and have done his first laser treatment under general anesthesia(GA) when he was 6 month old. In the following months and years, we will continue with the treatment. However, i have concerns that are there long-term side effects on the babies? they are so young and in the process of developing both mentally and physically from 6 month old to 3 years-old. i am not sure whether there are any bad effects if we do so many treatments (every 2 or 3 months)with GA during this important growth stage. such as speech delay or other learning ability delay?

i really appreciate if some moms can share their opinion on this. or how long is appropriate between two laser treatment? 2 or 3 months or 4 months?

thanks so much~~~

aaron' mom

Last edited by vicky.liu99 : 01-12-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Administrator

There is this:

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...887206,00.html

which is from Time, but about an article from the journal Anesthesiology. Here's the thing, though: It says babies who were put under GA one time showed no effects, but those put under GA more than that did show a higher instance of learning disability later in life. It just doesn't say why those babies had to undergo GA more than once ... and if the reason they had to have more than one operation could have contributed to later problems. They say, "the data do not make clear whether it was the anesthesia that contributed to the children's learning deficits or whether it was an underlying condition that may have required surgery and precipitated the learning problems."

There is also this article: http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...934197,00.html

There is also this: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/226800.php and this is even more recent.

I have a niece who's an anesthesiologist. I will message her right now and ask her if she can find some good peer reviewed articles on the topic.

Missy
Old 01-12-2012, 05:05 PM

thanks so much~~~ appreciate with the help from your niece!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy View Post
There is this:

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...887206,00.html

which is from Time, but about an article from the journal Anesthesiology. Here's the thing, though: It says babies who were put under GA one time showed no effects, but those put under GA more than that did show a higher instance of learning disability later in life. It just doesn't say why those babies had to undergo GA more than once ... and if the reason they had to have more than one operation could have contributed to later problems. They say, "the data do not make clear whether it was the anesthesia that contributed to the children's learning deficits or whether it was an underlying condition that may have required surgery and precipitated the learning problems."

There is also this article: http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...934197,00.html

There is also this: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/226800.php and this is even more recent.

I have a niece who's an anesthesiologist. I will message her right now and ask her if she can find some good peer reviewed articles on the topic.

Missy
Old 01-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Good morning,

I got a note from my niece who said that those two articles referenced were the most up to date information that she knows of. She also cautioned that in these studies, no other factors were taken into account. So, for those children who did have more surgeries and higher instances of learning disabilities, the underlying reasons why they needed multiple surgeries were not noted. She also said the instance of learning disabilities is rising in all populations (which is true, I know).

Tell me: what is your concern for this and for your child? How many times do you think GA will be needed?

Missy
Old 01-14-2012, 10:37 PM

ok this won't really help but i'm dumb as an ox and i don't think it has anything to do with GA. I think maybe i was under twice.

I definitly agree that learning disablities are on the increase in all populations, but maybe its just because the medical field is alot more aware of what ARE learning disablities. Its always been there just looked at it differently.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:43 PM

Hi Aaron's Mom,

My son has only just turned two, so I am not able to give you any reassurance as far long term cognitive impairment. But I did want to share that so far, he is progressing within the normal parameters. At his 18 month check up, he scored well on cognitive learning and a little low on speech development. In the past 6 months, his vocabulary has exploded and now scored well in all aspects at his two year check up.

His PWS covers roughly two-thirds of his face, including the eye area. Due to the location, GA has been necessary. He has been put under 11 times, all in his first 18 months. We weighed the long term risks of learning impairment compared to psychological effects of having such a large birthmark so clearly visible. If I am choosing one problem over another, I feel as though he will be able to work through any learning disabilities that may or may not occur and feel more confident doing so having had the laser treatments.

However, my completely biased opinion believes that he is a budding genius and that there will not be any future impairments to worry about. His face has lightened significantly and is hardly noticeable anymore. Whether or not it is noticeable is something I base on strangers' reactions. As a young infant, people I did not know often felt the need to ask me what was wrong with my baby's face. No one hardly says anything anymore.

Good luck with your treatments. I understand how difficult this process is.

Kelly
Old 02-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Hi!

I just posted a new paper on this very subject:
http://www.birthmark.org/pdf/Anesthe...ychildhood.pdf

Missy
Old 02-16-2012, 01:49 AM

Hello to all,

It has been really a long time since i posted something here.

My gal is going 2 in this April. She started her laser without GA. Doctor advice against it before 2 years old.

My gal's PWS are on the left eye patch, and painted from the buttocks to the back of the legs. Her vulva also have PWS.

Doc only does the eye patch (not near the eye) and the lower half of the legs only. Her upper leg and genital and toes are left untouched as it is very painful to do all.

Her eye patch has lighten. But the legs are still quite concentrated.

I would like to know will several GA affect her if she start GA at 30 months?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Administrator

I don't know of a study that has been conducted on children older than 2. Frankly, this is the first study of this kind I've seen.

How often would you have to have her toes and the rest of her legs done?

Missy
Old 02-20-2012, 04:21 PM

My daughter has been under GA 6 times now for her laser treatments. I am an OR nurse and talked to several anesthesiologists about the effects of GA later on in life. Several that I talked to work at Children's Medical Center in Dallas. They said it was quite ridiculous that these articles are claiming learning disabilities, etc. Like others have remarked, taking into account why these children were having multiple surgeries in the first place is key. If you think about all the kids with chronic diseases that have surgery under GA, real surgery that actually takes more than 10 minutes and compare it to the amount of time the GA lasts while under for laser, that's also a HUGE factor. Anytime you are under GA is a risk, but the longer you are under increases risks. Children undergo multiple surgeries under GA that last hours per surgery every day. All in all, I feel very comfortable with the minute amount of Sevoflurane gas that is used for GA for my daughter as compared to what she could be receiving if she were suffering from another condition requiring lengthy surgeries.