PWS and tattoos - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Adults Living with Birthmarks

Old 09-01-2010, 06:47 PM

Default PWS and tattoos

Hi,

I am new to the website and forum but I was wondering if anyone out there has had any luck with getting a tattoo over their PWS. I am 31yrs old and I have had several laser treatments on my PWS which is located on my lower right leg above the ankle. The laser treatments removed a good portion of it but I still have three small spots the size of quarters. I know I shouldn't let this bother me but years of being made fun and stared out has definitely taken a toll on my self-esteem. I hate wearing shorts or anything that reveals my mark. My husband keeps telling me that it isn't that bad but years of ridicule has given me a complex about it. The doctor I was seeing told me that my mark has pretty reached a point where the laser will have no further helpful results. I have been thinking about getting three small tattoos over the marks. They are still a faint red/purple color so I was considering maybe getting three little hearts tatoos. I was curious if anyone has had any luck with tattoos. I know there are standard precautions that come with any tattoo but are there any other dangers associated with a PWS?

Thanks in advance for any advice/comments
Old 09-04-2010, 07:39 PM

hey i think thats cool but maybe get an opinion if its safe and would to tattoo colouring change. i love tats.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:02 PM

Hi Kohmanne,
My name is Mick. I'm a 42 year old man living in the north east of England. I have a pws wich covers about half of my body including all of my right arm. I have never had any laser treatment. I approached a tattoo artist ten years ago and we started tattooing my arm. At first he started using skin tones to try and blend it away. It didn't work very well so we decided to go for normal tattoo designs and now every inch of my arm is tattooed. The pale colours don't work too well so we did most of it in black and grey tones. I'm very happy with the result. I found it to be more painful than having my white bits tattooed and there was a lot of bleeding as he worked. Even my doctor thinks my tattoo sleeve looks fantastic. I now wear short sleeves in public and I don't care if people stare. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Stand tall and walk proud! God made us the way we are. Your body is a temple, so you might as well paint the walls.

Mick
Old 01-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Administrator

Hi and welcome!

Just wanted to say thanks for posting! Many people ask about skin colored tats and don't seem to believe us when we tell them it doesn't really work quite that way! LOL

Take care and come back and post often!

Missy
Old 03-23-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick legend View Post
God made us the way we are. Your body is a temple, so you might as well paint the walls.
I LOVE this.

Come visit my blog:
http://shakingthetree.tumblr.com