Nevus of Ota? - Page 3 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  

1994 - 2014 Celebrating 20 years with 75,000 networked into treatment, over 3,000,000 views monthly on our world wide websites, virtual chapters on 6 of the 7 continents in the world, 500 families provided free lodging while seeking a medical opinion or treatment,over 400 conference scholarships awarded, 200 Day of Awareness events, 15 conferences, 12 programs (including our Ask/Accept Anti Bullying Program),10 walk/runs, 6 research projects funded, 4 physician education grants awarded, 4 college scholarships awarded, 3 Galas, and 2 International Missions Trips with over 300 treated by our international team.
Donate to VBF

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Adults Living with Birthmarks

Old 01-27-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittBrat1205 View Post
I am now 21 with the same birth mark, except mine is on my right eye. I have no idea what the birthmark is other than the fact that it is "a dark blue lesion covering the cheek, forehead, and/or eye and is most commonly found in Asia." Any other research besides this??
i have the same problem. it's nevus ota
Old 01-27-2012, 06:44 PM

Hey guys. Im 21 years old, and i have the same problem as you. It's like you all write about my problem, my state. I have the nevus OTA round and inside my right eye, it covers a half of my right cheek. I had a laser prosedure of Kyusevich, but the "bruise" seem to enlarge. I even wanna have a rhinoplasty, and i'm worried, would it have any consequences. plz,reply if possible
Old 02-08-2012, 02:06 AM

i'm 17, and i have nevus of ota inside my right eye (rare, i know), under my eye and around my temple. Last year i had about 5-6 sessions of laser treatment, fraxel (newest) as well as LP. fraxel was the most aggressive i would say, and i think it made the most improvement. the sessions lightened my mark quite a bit i would say, but still definitely prominent. if anything, i would check out the fraxel laser. this upcoming summer, i'm planning on trying the q-switch to see what that might bring. i wear make up on a daily basis, and i've become such an expert at it that no one has noticed for a while (at least the mark that is on my skin). but it does bother me that i have to wear that much make up every single day, i constantly wish i could be a normal teenage girl and wear minimal make up and just walk out the door like that.

i don't know about anyone else, but i always thought it was so unfair and unjust that only i have this birthmark out of the hundreds of people i've met. but i've pretty much learned to accept it, and i always remind myself how lucky i am to have a harmless condition. i at least try to be grateful that i don't have a condition that affects my health!

hopefully someone will find this inspirational... When i was younger (elementary school maybe), i went to a convenience store with my mom, and the man at the front counter noticed my birthmark (which was kinda surprising because that was back when it was hardly noticeable). He called it a "blue marK" and told me i was really lucky i had it. i guess he knew others with the same mark too! that made me feel really happy for some reason because he told me that i would be a really lucky girl when i grew up.

when i was younger, the birthmark was pretty light, and around 7-8th grade i got tanner, so my birthmark actually almost disappeared. but after i hit puberty, the birthmark darkened, due to hormones, i'm told. i'm hoping the laser treatment will have more of an effect after i'm done going through puberty... after all i'm only 17 and i'm sure i'm still growing, since i'm a late bloomer.

i have to say, my birthmark definitely took a huge blow to my self-esteem... but i'd like to believe that in exchange for a birthmark, i got some extra talents and brains out of it

maybe one day the technology will be so advanced that they'll be able to wipe out our birthmarks completely! who knows?
Old 03-02-2012, 07:57 AM

Hello everyone, I also have one all around my left eye and temple. It started to be visible when I was 16,very light at the beginning,now after 12 years its very dark and I cannot leave my house without make up... I feel vulnerable and that everyone is staring at me!
Old 03-04-2012, 11:31 PM

Hey Everyone!

Up until a half year ago I did not know what kind of birthmark I had; I went to the doctor when I was 14 and they did not know what it was either, saying it was just a regular birthmark. However, after some research on the internet I came to find out that it was called Naevus of Ota. So now, 8 years later I went to see the doctor again and I got redirected to a hospital in The Netherlands which specializes in pigmentation disorders. In this hospital I now finally receive treatment for the Naevus of Ota; so far I just had one whole treatment. The Doctor said that treatment with the Q ruby Switch laser has produced good to very good results in treating and fading the Naevus. So let's hope for the best^^

Reading all those forum posts made me realize that I am not the only one with this birthmark. I always thought I was the only one, because nobody knew what kinda birthmark it was and I never saw anyone else with it.

So I would really like to socialize with some people who also have this birthmark. I will take pictures after each treatment with the Q Ruby Switch Laser, so if anyone has questions about this treatment or is now also being treated with this laser, I would love to come into contact with you!
Anyone else can ofcourse e-mail me as well, I would love to socialize with people who know exactly how I feel at times .

I hope to hear from you soon! =)

(e-mail; Kasumi.17@Gmail.com)
Old 03-07-2012, 09:17 PM

Default Nevus of Ota

Hi Dee, Thanks for your post, saying hi! I have a facial birthmark, too, still getting a diagnosis as well. The doctor's email thinking is that I have venolymphatic malformation rather than PWS, because of swelling and pain issues. Are you thinking of going to the conference in NY? Great opportunity.
I can relate about the comments and such. My birthmark involves my eye, as well, so I've become adept at makeup. It's a bummer to always wear it, and
I'm amazed (and many other feelings) at the comments I receive. N
Old 04-04-2012, 09:01 AM

Hi, I'm 20 asian and male. I just realised what birthmark I have last week and I visited the doctor, mine is rather greenish on my left eye lid and people would always think that I got punched in the eye or i had eye shadow on. I do use concealer to cover it and recently it doesnt helps. It sucks to have this birthmark as I never had confident to look at anyone in the eye, so anyway I'm going for the laser surgery and the doctor said I can only remove 40-60% of it. Did anyone of you went for the laser how did it went?
Old 04-06-2012, 06:08 AM

My daughter was born with a blue nevus of ota birthmark covering her left temple and cheek area. She had 4 laser treatments using a Q-switched NdYAG laser at the Beckman laser institute at UC Irvine in California and it has lightened significantly. It is barely noticeable now. The important thing is to stay out of the sun (or use good sunscreen) before and after treatments.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:56 PM

hi every one im new to this as i only found this site today im 27 and have known i had nevus of the ota since i was 16 over the years its got worse especially after having my 3 children! no one ever told me that the hormones in your body from pregnancy could make it worse! any way i have it under my eye moving down towards my cheek it is also in the inner white of my eye at first u couldnt notice it but now you can which is horrible as i dont like to look at people when i talk to them and try to wear sunglasses alot of the time!! ive been trying to look for anything that can make te apperaence of my eye look normal but no such luck!! the pigmented skin doesnt really bother me i wear covermark makeup and this covers it well!! dont get me wrong i would love to roll out of bed and not have to put any makeup on!!! im looking into laser treatment any one recommend any where in the uk? and also does anyone else suffer with pigment on the white of their eye?
Old 04-12-2012, 01:08 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
My daughter was born with a blue nevus of ota birthmark covering her left temple and cheek area. She had 4 laser treatments using a Q-switched NdYAG laser at the Beckman laser institute at UC Irvine in California and it has lightened significantly. It is barely noticeable now. The important thing is to stay out of the sun (or use good sunscreen) before and after treatments.
how much was each session? and did you have to make a consultation appointment beforehand? i'm thinking about going to the UCI laser institute for this same procedure. did any of your insurance cover it?