7 Month Old with Deep Hemangioma - Treatment Options - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  

1994 - 2014 Celebrating 20 years with 75,000 networked into treatment, over 3,000,000 views monthly on our world wide websites, virtual chapters on 6 of the 7 continents in the world, 500 families provided free lodging while seeking a medical opinion or treatment,over 400 conference scholarships awarded, 200 Day of Awareness events, 15 conferences, 12 programs (including our Ask/Accept Anti Bullying Program),10 walk/runs, 6 research projects funded, 4 physician education grants awarded, 4 college scholarships awarded, 3 Galas, and 2 International Missions Trips with over 300 treated by our international team.
Donate to VBF

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 10-16-2012, 07:08 PM

Default 7 Month Old with Deep Hemangioma - Treatment Options

Hi! I am new here. I have a ton of questions but first, is anyone using Propranolol to treat their baby's hemangioma? My main concern is what will it do to a healthy, developing heart? Can it cause problems later in life? Also, does it work on deep h's? thanks!
Old 10-19-2012, 01:24 PM

Default Hi

Hi Missy - I don't know if you would call our son's hemangioma as a deep hemangioma, however, he has been on propranolol since 5 weeks old. It has had amazing results. He went through a bunch of tests on the heart and brain before administration of the medicine. Things checked out ok, and we started the medicine. We spent 5 days at Children's Hospital in Columbus. 2 of which were tests being ran, 3 days on the medicine. They kept a close eye on him. They have given this medicine to kids/adults for like 40 years so it is safe. We had lots of family members telling us not to give him the medicine. Needless to say, they have reversed course after seeing the progress. See the link below for pictures. If you want to chat more, you can reach me at johnbrowniii@gmail.com. Good luck and God Bless.

http://joeyinfant.blogspot.com/
Old 10-20-2012, 04:31 AM

Hi, Missy:

My daughter, who is now 2, was born with a hemangioma on her genitals, which ulcerated deeply. We treated with Propranalol starting at the age of four months. While I was wary at first, I now wish I would've done it sooner. She was in agonizing pain. She was monitored in the hospital while starting the medicine, and we had to do several take home heart monitors over the next few months to make sure her heart wasn't affected. She saw a cardiologist, too, and he told us that he would never know she was on the drug just by her scans. It's been around for so long and used safely. Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:39 AM

I really like it! I'll always appreciate your brief sharing in this information
selftestengine self test engine
Old 06-24-2013, 05:35 PM

My 10.5 month old daughter has a hemangioma under a fingernail and she is on .5ML of Propranolol. I haven't noticed any side effects. Her dr didn't say anything to me about it affecting her heart.