Veno-lymphatic Questions - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > AVM Help > AVM Help and Resources

Old 11-22-2012, 06:28 AM

Question Veno-lymphatic Questions

I am looking for answers as I am getting overwhelmed.
1. Can someone explain what is the difference between a venous malformation and a vascular malformation?
2. How much is too much over the counter acetaminophen or ibuprofen? I feel like all I do at times is pump my daughter with these OTC pain relievers.
3. Does anyone take anything else for the pain?
THank you.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Hi and welcome!

The term "vascular malformation" covers a broad spectrum of birthmarks, including hemangioma and port wine stain. Venous malformation is more specific and refers to a mass of blood vessels.

I don't know how much OTC pain reliever is too much, but if you're asking, then she probably needs some pain management. How old is your daughter?

I know there are others here who take other medications for pain. However, that decision is affected by a wealth of things, including age and activity level. This is something that needs to be discussed with her doctor.

If you will let us know where you are located, then we can help you find a physician that deals with these lesions specifically. Because you are not in the "hemangioma" forum, I suspect that your daughter is older and that you've gotten a good diagnosis (these are often misdiagnosed or misnamed), but if we can help you get other opinions, let us know!

Thanks,

Missy
Old 11-23-2012, 09:00 PM

Default Thank you

Missy,

Thank you for clearing up the definitions, she has always been refered to as having a venous mal, but recently I heard the term "vascular malformation" and got confused.

My daughter is still young, she's almost 10 years old. We have an appt with her doc in a couple of weeks and its on my list of things to talk to him about.

I am fairly certain that I won't be changing doctors anytime soon, since our doctor is Rosen at Lenox Hill. We are very happy with him.
Thank you again.