help.. dont know what kind of vascular malformation son has - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Additional Resources > General Resources

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2013, 04:50 PM

Default help.. dont know what kind of vascular malformation son has

My 15yr old son woke up with a swollen normal skin colored bump just under his middle knuckle of his middle finger. It is squishy and doesn't hurt him at all.He plays the tbone this is where the tbone rests when he holds it to play. He had an MRI done

MRI showed some kind "mass that doesn't invade bone, maybe a vascular structure, most likely a hemangioma" recommend a doppler ultrasound.
Ultrasound shows a "vague, subcutaneous fusiform and expansile lesion that might resemble a vascular lesion. However, THERE IS NO INTERNAL FLOW so I am uncertain about this finding but suspect that this represents a thrombosed AVM malformation"

The hand surgeon said she wants to surgically remove it and then they will know what type of malformation it is.
This doesn't seem right to me. I don't want to put him under general anesthesia unless I know exactly what is wrong. Everybody in these forums seems to know what is wrong with them whether it is a hemangioma, a lymphatic mf, a venous mf or an AVM. Am I crazy to want to know exactly what is wrong before operating and does he even have to have surgery can't we just wait and see if it will go away? (The dr is from Childrens Hospital in Philadelphia.) Can anybody help me or direct me and can I get a second opinion?
I would appreciate anyones thoughts on this...