Can anyone recommend a good makeup to cover up PWS?? - Page 2 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  

1994 - 2014 Celebrating 20 years with 75,000 networked into treatment, over 3,000,000 views monthly on our world wide websites, virtual chapters on 6 of the 7 continents in the world, 500 families provided free lodging while seeking a medical opinion or treatment,over 400 conference scholarships awarded, 200 Day of Awareness events, 15 conferences, 12 programs (including our Ask/Accept Anti Bullying Program),10 walk/runs, 6 research projects funded, 4 physician education grants awarded, 4 college scholarships awarded, 3 Galas, and 2 International Missions Trips with over 300 treated by our international team.
Donate to VBF

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 05-16-2011, 03:14 PM

Smile Skin Camouflage Products

Hello All,

Just thought I would pass on some of my experience of what products to use to cover a pws.

I am a qualified skin camouflage practitioner (based in the UK) and recommend to my clients a variety of products depending on the look, ease of application, costs and efficacy that a client wants/needs.

I, myself, have a large facial portwine stain and use DermaColor (shade D1W - I am a blue eyed blonde!) every day. My pws is fairly large and a deep purple colour. So DermaColor is perfect for me as it covers medium to dark pws easily. Once applied to the pws and a "setting" powder over it, it is completely waterproof. I then use a mineral powder make up all over my whole face and a little bronzer to tone in.

Also, I have used Veil - great by the way for children because of its sheer consistency, Dermablend and Keromask which have all been appreciated by my clients in covering various disfigurement. These are also waterproof when applied with a "setting" powder over.

All of these products are mixable, either with themselves or with other skin camouflage products, to get the nearest skin tone colour.

I also use "mainstream" (i.e. non camouflage) products too, one of which is Estee Lauder Maximum Cover Double Wear Camouflage make up which also comes in a useful variety of shades. This is a fabulous product and will cover light to light/medium pws with great ease, without the need for powder.

All of the above products are excellent at camouflaging pws effectively. However there are numerous other products on the market but, in my opinion, these are some of the best.

I hope I have helped some of you!

Good luck and stay healthy.

Ann X
Old 05-16-2011, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Hi and welcome!

Thank you for posting some recommendations. So many people come here and have no idea what to begin looking for, so your information will come in handy.

Missy
Old 05-17-2011, 06:49 AM

I use MAC Studio FIX foundation over Studio Sculpt concealer, which works well to cover the PWS on my face. Used to use DermaBlend but it feels thick and heavy, and following my laser treatments the mark was lighter so I don't need as much heavy foundation although I am sure I will always need at least some light makeup. Clinique makes a good setting powder to wear over concealer.
I am also planning soon to visit the Microskin Center in NYC which custom blends colors to match your skin. The website says it is not make up, but rather something else and it supposedly lasts for up to several days with one application, and it is waterproof. I will give an update after I visit!
Old 05-17-2011, 05:20 PM

Default Further info

Thanks for the wellcome Missy!

If I discover any further products I will let you guys know.

Also, if anyone wants to contact me (via this website) with regard to skin camouflage products etc, I would be more than happy to advise.

Best wishes.

XX
Old 10-05-2011, 12:42 PM

Hello there

I would like to know some things re skin camouflage, my son has a fairly light / medium pws on right cheek and I was looking for something to put on post laser surgery when very bruised (not straight away of course) when applying makeup/camouglage do you have to cover the whole face or is there anything that can just go over the pws that will look quite natural. I want to try to tone it down a little after treatment but I don't really want to put all over my 3 year old face! With him being a little boy I'm looking for the most natural and I'm not bothered about covering it completely.

Also is there any high factor sunblocks with coverage that could be recommended?

We are based in the uK

Many Thanks!
Old 06-07-2013, 11:58 AM

Default Pws Good Cover Up Products??

Hi
My now 10 year old son was born with sturge webber syndrome resulting in a large facial port wine stain on the right side of his forehead,nose,eyelid and upper lip.
I do however use keromask primer, keromask cream foundation, and finishing powder for when he is at school ,I have also purchased the model in a bottle fixing spray with the hope it keeps his camoflauge makeup on all day while at school, but the big problem I have is the makeup no matter what does not stay on his face and by the time I bring my son home from school its a mess and his makeup is rubbed off and flaky in many places.
Does any one have any tips or ideas as to what can help keep his makeup on and looking good at all times during the day?
Thank You Jill
Old 08-27-2013, 02:29 PM

I'm a 26-year old female with a PWS across the right side of my face. I've been using CoverFX for years and I've found that it gave me great coverage. However, I recently moved to London, Ontario, which is very humid. My make-up looks awful as a result and I'm hoping to switch to a different product. Does anyone have recommendations for a product that is particularly good in humid environments?
Old 12-09-2013, 05:55 PM

kat von d from Sephora is what my son wears.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
I am looking for a good make up that won't rub off to put on Samuel PWS. He is really starting to become annoyed with people asking him about it. He asked me the other day why they have to be so nosy!

Thanks,

Rosie
Ive been covering for 35 years, Started with Inoxa, then Estae Lauder, clinique and now I use microskin. The microskin is the first cover I have been able to use without fear of it rubbing off. It also isnt affected greatly by sweat. I live in (North Queensland) I can swim , sauna , spa and do pretty much anything and it stays put all day.
It takes a few extra minutes to apply but I am slowed as I need to get up really close to my eye. It is alcohol based and can cause some skin dryness b ut that is sorted by the right moisturiser. Getting it off requires a removal spray and a soapy wash. I can easily do this while the tv ads are on .
IMO get your young fella into the habit now and it will just become a normal part of his life.

cheers
Old 04-03-2014, 02:38 PM

I have found that Merle Norman Total Finish works very well...although it can be drying, so it has been helpful to me to read some of the other responses. I hope to try something new in the near future.