Nevus of Ota? - Page 9 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Adults Living with Birthmarks

Old 07-27-2013, 06:14 PM

Oh im so happy I found this site, i'm 22 years old and i have the nevus of ota and always asked questions like
*"What happened to your face?" .
*"Were you in a car accident*.
* Oh i thought you were in a fight**
Or act like they cant hear me say its a birthmark and ask twice
For me I was born with it. it use to very light on the top of my head as a baby then as I grew it went down to my right side of my face over my eye and blue in my inside my eye. to me it seemed that as a kid other kids were so mean to me and teased me about it, but as I got older more guys seem to like it about it and found me attractive. I still get very insecure about it and try to cover it up. I'm so worried that my kids friends will tease them about me. I'm going to upload two pictures one after i gave birth to my son and one where i try to cover it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg birth two.jpg (55.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg face 3.jpg (62.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-09-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeinkc View Post
Hi,

I am 32 and have a Nevus of Ota birthmark around my left eye. Basically my birthmark makes me look like I have a black eye and there is no shortage of people who ask me "what happened?". I have only recently found out what the official name of my type of birthmark is. Most of the resources I have found online pertain to PWS marks. This is mainly because my type of mark is most prevalent in Asian countries (I'm not Asian -- just lucky I guess! :-).

Does anyone else on this forum have Nevus of Ota? If so, I'd love to connect. I'd also love to connect with anyone who has any type of facial birthmark.

I do use make up and it works okay -- not 100% coverage, but I don't like to be without it.

Looking forward to "meeting" others. Thanks.

Dee

Hi Dee,

Nice to meet you and I just want say that I have the exactly the same birthmark in my left eye and people also ask me what happened to my eye but I'm a guy so makeup doesn't help and they think I'm a cage fighter as I have a blue eye 24/7/365. I thought I was the only one until a doctor provided me with correct diagnoses after 30 years and I started googling and I found you very funny.

I would like share some pics.

Clive
Old 08-09-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm.mommy View Post
Oh im so happy I found this site, i'm 22 years old and i have the nevus of ota and always asked questions like
*"What happened to your face?" .
*"Were you in a car accident*.
* Oh i thought you were in a fight**
Or act like they cant hear me say its a birthmark and ask twice
For me I was born with it. it use to very light on the top of my head as a baby then as I grew it went down to my right side of my face over my eye and blue in my inside my eye. to me it seemed that as a kid other kids were so mean to me and teased me about it, but as I got older more guys seem to like it about it and found me attractive. I still get very insecure about it and try to cover it up. I'm so worried that my kids friends will tease them about me. I'm going to upload two pictures one after i gave birth to my son and one where i try to cover it.
Wow! Very similar what I have! I thought I was the only one! I live in South Africa and will upload some pics to share
Old 08-09-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeinkc View Post
@sonvous1: Yeah, I sometimes get late reactions too. However, I have found that most people whom I see on a regular basis, like at work, don't often ask me about it. My questions usually come from complete strangers -- like cashiers when I'm shopping they will say "what happened to your eye?" This usually makes me feel terrible and I'm trying to think of something to say besides "it's my birthmark." I think I'll start saying "Nothing happened," because nothing happened. LOL. Or "what business is that of yours?" I just hate to be so defensive about my mark.

@sonvous1 I would love someone to chat with one-on-one, so please inbox me if you're open to communicating. Thank you!
Lol! I know what you mean! Wow! I'm so happy that I'm not alone!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:08 PM

Wow!!! is it weird that I cried when I started reading the comments here?? I can't believe I finally found people who I actually can totally relate to and who would actually understand what I've been through.

I also have the blue birthmark, it covers the area around my left eye, and my sclera is pretty much all blue, my left eye is a very dark brown while my right one is just brown. I am from Egypt and I am 25 years old and I was born with it. I have never met someone with the same birthmark.
When I was a baby the pigmentation was just in my eye, but as I grew up the color sort of spread out to the area around my eye and temple. It was very gradual that when I pointed it to my mum she was surprised, because she hadn't noticed.

I have to say I have always struggled with it, always looking different, and basically feeling ugly, probably because of all the comments I get "what happened to your eye?", "what's wrong with your eye?" " who hit you?"…… the one that pisses me off the most is when they ask what happened and I tell them it’s a birthmark and they say no way, it wasn't there last time I saw you, are you sure it's a birthmark?!

I also used to get comments in school, I had a kid once say, "don’t talk to me until you get that ink out of your eye" another time someone told me you have eyeliner smudged all over your eye, I could go on forever with the endless comments people make! A teacher once told me that she thought I was blind in one eye, another time a professor asked me what's wrong with my eye in front of the whole class (which basically made me feel like I wanted the earth to swallow me, having everyone looking at me and waiting for an answer)…. All these things people say made me sad/upset/angry/frustrated/self-conscious and obviously make me feel ugly and extremely unappealing and unattractive

I sometimes berate myself that I should not feel this way, that its only pigmentation and I can see just fine and that's a blessing. it's just aesthetics, and yet I always feel self conscious. I guess I need to keep working at it. I'm not aware of it all day long, but it factors into my thoughts a lot and I hope one day it won't as much.

I sometimes wear make-up to cover it up, but then I worry that if I meet a new person, and they see me without make up later on they will have a negative reaction, I hate how that is a constant thought I have, and even when I cover it up a bit I can't really hide it and it is still very much noticeable, [especially that I am a teacher, so to stand in front of a class, and have a bunch of people always looking at me can get uncomfortable, but I don't let it hinder me in any way, it is just that when I catch someone staring I wonder what they are thinking and if they think I look terrible, or if they feel sorry for me (which I hate)]…. And it's sort of pointless to put on make-up because it will never make me look nice, plus I feel like i am lying about how i look to people, trying to make them think I look a certain way when i don't, i really do feel like I'm attempting to wear a mask, except its a poorly constructed one and doesn't help in any way… I'm sorry for this long post but I have never actually found a place where I could articulate my thoughts, always boxing it and suppressing it all inside, it's really nice to be able to speak about it here!

I don’t think I would try the laser treatments, I am too scared it would make it worse or something could go wrong and my eye would be damaged, plus it seems extremely expensive…..

It was really great finding this, thank you all for sharing

Last edited by mauve3 : 08-10-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:48 AM

Hello, everyone. I am a 62 year-old female with a Nevus of Ota under my right eye. It looks exactly like a black eye. It is greenish blue in color and it extends to my check where it begins to look like blue freckles. I have been teased, asked some probing and absurd questions, and I've even been told that my mascara was running! That's funny now, but when I was younger that was very painful and annoying. My ex-husband was even accused of trying to cover up his spousal abuse by his Army Commanding Officer. One day I thought I could quickly drop-off some lunch to my husband through the back door of his office without anyone seeing me without make-up. Instead, I bumped right into his CO who looked directly into my face as he was leaving for lunch. When the CO returned, he called my husband into his office and asked him if he was having any marital problems. The CO told my husband that he couldn't help but notice that I had a black eye when he saw me earlier. My husband began to laugh, and his CO immediately barked, "I'll slap you with an Article 15 right now! I will NOT tolerate any of my soldiers abusing their wives!" After my husband explained my birthmark, the CO insisted that I come to his office, that afternoon, so he could see for himself that my Nevus of Ota was not actually a black eye! There are so many more stories I could tell! This birthmark has actually provided me with a life full of laughs!

My father was bi-racial: black mother, white father. My mother was black; however, her maternal grandfather and great-grandfather were bi-racial: black mothers, white fathers; and, her paternal great-grandfather was a native African. I am not aware of any Asian ancestry, although I've been told the Nevus of Ota is also prevalent among Africans and African-Americans. I don't know of any other person in my family with a birthmark like this. I have no idea if the Nevus Of Ota is hereditary. I do know that color-blindness is, and it is very prevalent in my family. My father was color-blind and my oldest son is, too. Three of my sisters have sons who are color-blind. But none has a Nevus of Ota. (I mention this only because I see here that the Nevus of Ota may have had some effect on the color of some of your eyes and I wondered if the color-blindness gene could have also.) I was terribly afraid that one of my children, or even one of my grandchildren, would have this type of birthmark. Fortunately, none of them does.

My Nevus of Ota was not visible at birth. As a matter of fact, it did not become visible until I was about 10 or 11 years old, and then only slightly. However, by high school it had become quite dark. I began trying to cover it with make-up in my junior year of high school. By 20, I was using a mixture of powder and liquid make-up layers to cover it, but that did not do a very good job. In my late 20's, I stumbled across an article in Glamour magazine about birthmarks and how to cover them. That is when I discovered Lydia O'Leary products. It was heavy, difficult to work with, make-up for birthmarks and other skin discolorations. But for the time, it was a godsend. However, I had to mix-n-match from a small selection of colors, and once it was applied, it did not look very natural. A few years later I discovered Dermablend, which I have been using for approximately 30 years. Dermablend has a very nice selection of colors to match every skin tone, and it offers different types of accompanying products. It has excellent coverage and is very easy to work with and apply. Most people do not even know that I have a birthmark, unless they have seen me on that rare occasion when I have been out and about without make-up. After nearly 50 years of covering my Nevus of Ota, I have become an expert make-up artist. But, I HATE wearing make-up! I, too, wish I could just get up in the mornings and shower, dress, and go. Unfortunately, it takes about 15 minutes (or more) of every morning to apply my make-up. What a ball and chain! But, I have learned to accept what I cannot change. I have also had the option to go without make-up, and I made the decision not to.

For you young ladies, I want to encourage you with the knowledge that my Nevus of Ota has NEVER been an obstacle to attracting men. And not one of them was ever repulsed by my Nevus of Ota when I became comfortable enough to let them see it. So, do NOT be self-conscious about your birthmark. You are beautiful in the eyes of those who love you! Accept that truth and accept yourself! I have chosen to cover my Nevus of Ota, some other women don't. Just remember that whatever your decision, you must love and accept yourself, and know that beauty really is only skin deep. If you are spotless on the outside but corrupt inside, your beauty does you no justice. Be proud of how God made you, and be the best person you can be from the inside out!

I tried laser treatment about 30 years ago. It did not work. Although lasers have improved drastically, I have chosen not to pursue them. It just is not worth it to me now. I have had a wonderfully blessed life, even with my Nevus of Ota. I eventually realized that my birthmark had no real negative impact on my life! I learned how to use make-up (although I truly do hate the make-up process) to look "normal," and I realized that lasers probably would only add another dimension of frustration to my life that I did not need.

I have only wanted to share my story with you so you would know that life is good, even with a Nevus of Ota, and that "looks" are just vanity. What you will eventually realize is that love, family, and friends are all that really matter. Spend your time and money on those things and don't worry so much about how you look. We'll all get old and ugly one day! LOL!!
Old 08-26-2013, 05:49 PM

Hello everyone, I've just gone through this entire thread and all of your stories have made me feel better about my Nevus of Ota.

Some of you have described your birthmarks exactly like mine!
I am 27 years old, from the Philippines and I was born with it. At first my mother and the doctors thought it was some kind of bruising because they had to use forceps on me while I was being delivered. It gradually became darker as I got older. It covers mostly the right side of my face: under my eyes, cheeks, near my jawline and even at the back of my ear. It also covers part of my head. I also have it on the whites of my right eye, my darker eye.

In school, some of my teachers have asked me if I had a black eye. Growing up, my birthmark has never been an issue. Strangers have never asked me about it, my friends and classmates have never teased me about it. I am so grateful that my birthmark didn't give me that kind of trauma growing up.

But now, since my birthmark has gotten significantly darker I feel more conscious about it. There are times when I am okay with it but there are times when I feel completely insecure about it. I absolutely cannot go out without putting on makeup. I used to cake on foundation and concealer and it wasn't a good look on me. I have extremely oily skin so at the end of the day my face was an oily and cakey mess. I've been obsessed with finding the right orange corrector but so far I haven't had much success. Most women only worry about covering acne scars and dark circles under their eyes. We on the other hand have to worry about this big blue mark that covers most of our face.

I'm keen to try laser treatments but of course I'm also quite worried of the outcome. I'm just counting on technology to significantly improve by the time I come up with the money for treatment. LOL

I seem to be rambling on but I just feel good being able to share my story. People don't seem to have a problem with my birthmark, it is me who needs to learn to accept it. I'm trying my best and reading your stories encourages me even more.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:32 AM

rambling is what these forums are for
Old 08-29-2013, 03:52 AM

Exclamation

hey guys i just made a youtube video about covering my nevus of ota to try and get more awareness of it out there as well as some questions on if dermablend works or how to cover it please check it out and help me spread the word on our type of birthmark. i will probably be doing a video with info on it soon too! thanks guys!@

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FMM-CGCJTY
Old 09-14-2013, 03:29 PM

I just want to say a big thank you to Acetra for your lovely post about being beautiful on the inside being more important. I shed a little tear... (Incidently, has anyone noticed that over the years, you don't cry out of the eye that has the birthmark on?? I don't know if it became habit, because I didn't want to ruin the make up, but I no longer cry out of that eye. Weird...)

Also, MrmMommy, I just watched your youtube video- what you do is amazing and you are simply stunning!!! Also your kids are super cute
Thanks for putting it up. It's also encouraged me to try Dermablend products.

Thanks again ladies x