Port wine changes with age - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-2014, 04:27 PM

Unhappy Port wine changes with age

Hi everyone! I am 32 years old and have a port wine stain on my right cheek. I had many laser treatments done when I was a child, all the way until I was 17. I didn't have anymore treatments until I turned 30 and have had two treatments last year. It's hard for me to find the time for the recovery period since I have two young boys with very busy schedules.

I've started to notice some changes in my birthmark recently. I've started noticing it becoming slightly raised in areas, almost lumpy. This scares me greatly as I've read about port wines becoming thicker, raised, and cobblestoned as we age. There's only two small areas where I can see the bumps only in certain lighting. I saw my doctor a couple days ago to schedule some more treatments on it (I'm scheduled for treatment in two weeks.)

My question is: will having more laser treatments make the raised areas go back down? Or is it just going to continue to get worse as I get older? I was always told that having so many treatments on it when I was younger would help to prevent cobblestoning. I'm going to try and have at least 3 treatments in the next few months and I'm hopeful that will help it.

I'm starting to get so anxious about what my birthmark is going to do as I'm getting older.

Thanks!
Jessica