Port Wine Stain - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 10-14-2004, 03:41 PM
Sophie

Default Port Wine Stain

My son has a port wine stain between his upper lip and nose, extending a bit into his nose. We live in New Yoirk City and would like some advise- the doctors that are covered by our insurance are not the ones that come most highly recommended (for example, Dr. Morel, Dr. Leonard Bernstein(!)). We're thinking we should go wiht Dr. Geronemus (not covered by our insurance). ANy thoughts? We saw Morel, who is nice but young and thus not that experienced. She does laser surgery and recommended it.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:21 PM

Default Re:Port Wine Stain

Have you looked into the following Doctors? THey have a lot of experience and work with the VBF.

-corinne

Mark Nagy, MD
Dr. Linda Brodsky
Buffalo Children's Hospital
Buffalo, NY 14222
716-878-7569

Dr. Edwin Williams, MD
Director of Williams Facial Plastic Surgery Center
1072 Troy Schenectady Road
Latham, NY 12210
518-786-7000

Old 10-14-2004, 05:25 PM
Sophie

Since we live in NYC I'm restricting my doctor pool to the region. There are a considerable # of experts here.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:49 PM

You are very lucky to have Dr. Waner in NYC (he works with dr. Berenstein (who is highly recommended)... although Dr. Waner is not in network for insurance co., you might want to try to have him approved. Dr. Waner is very good about handling insurance co. Also, it is important for the insurance co. to know that only a doctor with a lot of experience using lasers on vascular birthmarks should treat your child. Their experience helps minimize any risks.

If you need help with insurance issues. Ck out the insurance info on the MSN support group site. Many parents have WON!!

The best route to get to Waner is to email his nurse Esma and copy him on the email. Include photos and any history. If you are interested I can give you the email addresses or you can find them on the msn site as well.

GOOD LUCK

Corinne
Old 10-14-2004, 09:53 PM
A Daddy

We did not have a good experience with some of the doctors that you named. (More interested in hair removal than helping a young child.) But, we did have a lot of success with Dr. Heidi Waldorf. She has offices in Nanuet, NY, which is in Rockland County, not too far from NYC. Even better for you, she also works out of NYC; I believe that it is Mt. Sinai. Dr. Waldorf is patient with kids and parents alike and very responsive to questions. She helped to slow down the growth of my daughter's H and speed up involution. For my money, go with her.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:34 PM

Does she do laser treatment?
-Corinne

Old 10-17-2004, 02:34 PM
alexasmommy

Hi. My three year old daughter is a patient of Dr Geronemus. He has been seeing her since she was six weeks old. Her results have been great and I have nothing but praise to say about Dr Geronemus.
Any questions feel free to ask.
Good luck....
Elena
Old 10-17-2004, 04:27 PM
Sophie

thank you, that is reassuring. We have an apointment with him in a couple weeks. IF she got them, when did your daughter's laser treatments begin? Has there been scarring, and how does she tolerate them?
thanks!
Sophie
Old 10-18-2004, 04:29 AM
alexasmommy

He began laser treatments when she was six weeks old. She had about 13 treatments before she was one year old. We have not used GA with her. The treatment takes less than a minute to laser. She is obviuosly upset during, but calms down quickly afterwards. We chose not to use GA for a number of reasons. That is such a tough decision. What is right for one person may not be right for another.
If you like, you can also email me with any questions. I will be happy to answer them if I can. Have you looked at his web site yet? He also has before and after pictures there. Do you live in New York or do you have to travel?
alexasmommy@realityquest.net

Elena