blood clots??? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > AVM Help > AVM Help and Resources

Old 04-06-2005, 09:02 PM

Default blood clots???

are blood clots common with vm's? if so what are some signs/symptoms? I have a few hard lumps that I know have come about the last day or so...hurts when I move my wrist up/down left/right they are on the forearm...

thanks
kristie
Old 04-07-2005, 08:07 PM

Default Re: blood clots???

Hi Kristie,

Our group manager on the vbf support group site notified us of your post and asked someone with experience with blood clots to respond. This is my first time on this site.

My son is 9 and has multiple VMs in his neck/throat/shoulder area, on the right hand side only. He has suffered from repeated blood clots the last 2 years. He just started sclerotherapy treatments at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, Canada...he had his first treatment last week. It is hoped that the sclero will wipe out the VMs and the clots and resultant scar tissue (phleboliths...hard little nodules that the clots usually leave behind in the VM, which can also be very tender to the touch).

Clots are certainly not unheard of with VMs. With my son they usually present themselves as a hard, raised blue lump which hurt a lot to the touch. A couple of months ago we thought he had broken his collar bone due to a hard lump on it which totally impeded his motion in his arm...turned out his collar bone was fine, but he had a clot in that area! He ended up going on aspirin therapy (again) 1 adult aspirin, 2x a day and tapering off until it was gone. Unfortunately that can cause bruising issues AND it upsets his stomach!

Hope everything works out for you!! Let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Take care,

Jose
Old 04-07-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Re: blood clots???

thank you Jose!

THe group she is referring to is on msn VB Support Group

here is the link if you are interested in cking us out.

Corinne
http://groups.msn.com/vascularbirthm..._whatsnew.msnw