what does thickening and cobbling look like? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 07-02-2005, 05:22 AM
kimberlyann

Default what does thickening and cobbling look like?

I'm noticing some changes on my neck and am wondering if anyone can describe thickening and cobbling. My pws is looking like it has small dark spots,really small likelittle specks. I'm so afraid of this happening!
Old 07-02-2005, 06:19 AM

Default Re: what does thickening and cobbling look like?

Hi Kimverlyann,

If you go to Geoff's site he has pictures of his coblestones from his PWS. I do not know what time his appointment is, But he sees Waner on the 1st as well as us.

Dr. Waner removed all of his last picture I saw. He still needs allot of work done though. The V-Beam Pulse Dye Laser is a very good laser that Waner uses. It is so much faster then any of the lasers I have used in the past 18 years.

Did you check into a MRI? It would help Waner allot and you would be able to find out if you have SWS. Waner or Linda (Founder of VBF) might know a good place to have it done at in NY.

Talk to you later,

Hank
Old 07-06-2005, 12:56 AM
PresidentVBF

Default Re: what does thickening and cobbling look like?

Thickening and cobbleing usually occurs in the head area. You could have some small "peppercorn" vessels in your neck that can be lasered. Times of pregnancy or hormone changes can cause these little blebs. Real cobbleing is little tiny blueberries and if they pop (some actually have popped) they bleed like crazy but stop with direct pressure. The thickening is exactly what it sounds like, thickened skin. Just because Hank and/or Geoff have some cobbling and or thickening of the lip or skin doesn't mean your neck is going to thicken. The have extremely aggressive port wine stains that are the highest grade. It is rare to have a neck thicken, it usually occurs in the head and neck area. Limbs can expand from a vascular birthmark but we don't call that "thickening" like we do when referring to the lip or ears or under the chin area or cheek or eye lids. Send a close up picture of your neck to one of our expert docs or make an appointment and have him/her check you out.

Linda Shannon
VBF President/Founder
hvbf@aol.com