Different Laser Treatments - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 09-01-2005, 10:59 AM
stcynthia

Default Different Laser Treatments

Hi,

I am a 35 year old with PWS on my cheek.* I've been undergoing laser treatments for the past 20 years....using the pulsed dye laser exclusively for the past 10 years.* My stain has lightened only about 60%, but is easily coverable by makeup.* I go in for pulse dye laser treatments once or twice a year, but can't seem to make any new progress.* I think I've hit a roadblock, but don't want to give up.

Has anyone had any success with any other lasers?* Have they come out with a new laser that may provide additional benefit?* Has anyone used the Versapulse C laser for PWS with success?

Thanks for your help!

CLS
Old 09-01-2005, 07:19 PM
alexasmommy

Default Re: Different Laser Treatments

Hi. There are 2 docs that are currently testing a new laser. I believe it is called the Cynergy by Cynosure. It is a combo yag and pdl. It is still being tested.
If you feel that you have "maxed" out the current pdl, there is an IPL laser. Photoderm is an IPL laser. It works differently than a pdl but I have heard many adults say that they have had results with the Photoderm after the results with the PDL had stopped. There are many "types" of a pdl that can be tried. If you are using the V Beam, they can try the C Beam, or V Star. It depends on your doctor and what he feels may be most beneficial to you.
As of now, the pdl is the choice for treating pwsl. The Photoderm does have a higher propensity for scarring so you would need to see someone who has awesome knowledge of ipl lasers.
I would reccommend that when you go back for a tx, talk to your doctor and tell you how you feel and what suggestions he may have.
SOme doctors have the feeling that it is as light as it is going to get at this point-with the current technology- and they just want to do one or two maintenance tx's a year. If that is the case, then you need to speak to him. Do you live in or near New York?
I am in the same situation with my little one. She "maxed" out the pdl very early on. She goes yearly for maintenance but I have seen no fading in years.She is only 4 so I have some time to decide if I want to try another laser also
Good luck.....
ELena
Old 09-01-2005, 10:07 PM

Hi CIS,

I agree with Elen, you might need to seek another opinion on either a new laser or doing more treatments in a year. When I was younger I was going several times a year the earlies you would want to do it is every other month until your body gets use to it. I started 18 years ago and have used threee different PDLs and a YAG laser. Now I have done plastic surgeries as well. If you would like to see pictures and see what lasers I have used go to my website, it is in my profile.

I know exactly how discouraging it can be, but technology is getting better day by day with research. If you keep going you will see progress what ever laser you use.

I will talk to you soon.

Hank
Old 10-06-2005, 03:18 AM

I'm really encouraged by this site and the ongoing interaction, so I just joined.* I have a port wine stain on my right cheek, ear, neck and chin.* YAG lasers have proven to be the best for adults with deeper port wine stains; they have some great new lasers out.* *I'm continuing treatments with Dr. Kenkel in Dallas and have been a patient of his for several years.

Sincerely,
Amber

Last edited by laedee : 01-09-2008 at 09:57 PM. Reason: update