URGENT: What is contrast I.V. MRI in infants - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 11-10-2004, 12:15 AM
Newmom

Default URGENT: What is contrast I.V. MRI in infants

Hello, We are about a perform the MRI of the brain for our 2-month old daughter who has a Port Wine Stain on her entire right cheek and right half of her nose. The neurologist has suggested that she undergo sedation before the MRI, and needs to get the MRI done with contrast I.V.

We are a little concerned at this time what impact the dye / contrast I.V. might have on my 2 month old. Has anyone heard about contrast I.V. being used on infants as early as 2 months while performing an MRI ? What is it and how does it impact the child ?

This is really urgent, and any responses are appreciated.

Thanks,
AkshisMom
Old 11-10-2004, 12:25 AM

Default Re:URGENT: What is contrast I.V. MRI in infants

I am sending out emails to people I think might have a better answer than I have.

Will be in touch soon. I would encourage you to ask the doctor handling the child's case the same questions.

Corinne
Old 11-10-2004, 04:22 AM
Jin9084

Hi. I do know that it has been done on newborns. However, what I have learned and been told is that unless the baby is having seizures or other problems that it is best to wait until the baby is 6 months to a year. My son was 9 months old when he had his and did fine. Austin has had several since then and has had no side effects from the MRI with contrast. If you have more questions I'll be glad to try to answer them. Plese feel free to email if you would like. mom2austinhunter2msn.com
Jinny

PS- I just realized for forgot to tell you congratulations on your new baby. So Congratulations!!!!!
Old 11-10-2004, 02:44 PM
alexasmommy

Hi. I emailed you privately also.
I am happy that Jinny saw your post and was able to respond. I have also heard the same reccommendations and info as Jinny has.....
Please let us know how it goes and email me again if you have any questions.......
Elena
Old 11-10-2004, 04:04 PM

I spoke to Linda Shannon and she said to have you contact the "ask the nurse" on this site. Under resources.

Corinne
Old 11-10-2004, 06:32 PM
Newmom

Thanks to everyone who has responded to me on this topic. I am working on this right now, and will post you on further updates.

Thanks,
Akshismom