Dyan's story - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Living with a birthmark - my story

Old 04-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Dyan

Default Dyan's story

Hi all

My name is Dyan and I'm 29.* I have a fairly dark pws on the right side of my face, surrounding my nose and a bit on my forehead.

I'm Canadian and have moved around a fair bit.* I think that was the most difficult part for me growing up - at least the one in grade 7.* If there would be one piece of advise I would give to parents it would be if you can avoid it at all, do not move during puberty.* Teenagers can be so mean! >* I was a pretty outgoing kid, until then.* The teenage years were pretty rough - I became pretty shy and introverted and quite jealous of my brother (he was cute and popular and boy could I be mean to him)* We fought constantly until I moved out of the house to go to university.* (We get along great now . . .)

I've had about 20 laser surgeries (all in the early 90s) with limited results.* I've done the pulse dye laser (thank God, we've progressed past that one!) and I think the second one was called a KTP laser.* I had a little fading, but nothing substantial, and nothing that justified the a) time b) travel c) money and d) pain (mostly with the dye laser - about 1992)* I'm sure the pain factor has diminished substantially since then.

About time I turned 20 I had the life is too darn short realization and just decided that people were going to love me for me, or not at all.* I burst out of my shyness bubble.* And the rest, as they say, is history.

I have a bachelor's degree in English and History and a Master's degree in Library and Information Studies.* You guessed it, I'm a Librarian - to answer your next question, I'm one of the loudest librarians I've ever met, and I only shush the people I really have to* .*

I'm in a great relationship with a man who loves me exactly the way that I am.* I also know that, should I decide to get treatment again, he would be completely supportive of my decision.

Well, I guess, in a nutshell, that's it.
I hope this helps . . . feel free to ask me questions, if you want.
Take care,
Dyan
Old 04-12-2005, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Dyan's story

Hi Dyan,

That was a very nice story. I defently could relate to allot of what you said.

The PDL you used left little round dots hu? That was the first ever PDL they made and it felt like a hundred rubber bands hitting your face in one zap.
Just so you know the V-Beam PDL (the newest one) is three times as fast, and does not hurt near as much.

Thanks again for sharing.

Hank
Old 11-01-2005, 05:27 PM
Lucy784

Default Re: Dyan's story

HI Dyan,

My name is Cassie. I am 20 year old female (I can send some pictures if you would like to put a name to the face). I gre up in Orange County, and I now live in the Bay Area (San Francisco). I was born with a PWS on the right side of my face (covered about 75%). It is a rich cherry color that I have grown to love (not really..but I have to deal with it). I have had 40+ laser surgeries, and it now covers about 25% of the right side of my face. It is underneath my right eye, about an inch in diameter and extends all the way down to my lip (it is a little on my lip and right gum..not that noticible). My parents started treatment when I was a little baby. And it has faded significantly. It is a very aggressive stain and does not want to go away! When I look at baby pictures my mother used to smother me with makeup, and I for sure understand why she did it...even though a four year old running around with a pound of foundation on doesn't seem right if you ask for my opinion!

Now that I am older, It does affect me more and more. However, I try not to think about it. I do get sick of applying layers of makeup, and fearing that if I don't people will look at me funny or kinda stare a little bit. It is actually kinda funny! I have blue blue blue eyes (like a Husky)..and people will come up to me and say "You have the most georgeous eyes I have ever seen in my entire life"..and sometimes I truly am flattered and other times I think to myself...Are you kidding me I have a huge mark on the right side of my face aren't you kinda curious about it? (Even though I want to crawl into a hole when people even ask me about my birthmark). Or when people say to me.."I wish I could have your eyes for a day! And i think to myself...If only I could have perfect skin! I have said before there are the good days..sometimes I do not even notice it, and there are the really crappy days when I do wish I could have perfect complection! I look in the mirror and sometimes do not even notice it and other times it is all I see! When I apply the makeup I feel I am trying to trick people...or If I take photographs I have to take them from the left side. It is very hard to deal with.

I think I have rambled long enough! Hope to keep in touch! I found your words very inspiring!
-Cassie
Lucy784@aol.com