OMG!! Why is it white??? ASAP answer pleaseeeee - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 06-22-2005, 07:40 PM
berryfruit

Default OMG!! Why is it white??? ASAP answer pleaseeeee

Hey

I don't know if I'm a fool for overreacting... but this has never happend to me before... I just did a photodye laser on my birthmark.. and a patch of it turned white!!! the surronding is bruised but im worried about the white patch!! will it stay white forever???? the last time I had laser was about 4 years ago.. so maybe the machines are different?? HELP!!! I'd rather have it red than white :'(
Old 06-23-2005, 03:06 AM
clairesmum

Default Re: OMG!! Why is it white??? ASAP answer pleaseeeee

Hi there

The white may be where the laser was turned up too high. Did your doctor say anything after the treatment. They should be able to tell immediately. Claire was "burnt" one time, but the doctor saw straight away and turned the laser down for the next zaps.

Maybe try and phone the doctor and ask about it. In saying all that, Claire can get white dots straight away in some places and the red everywhere else. She has a pws on her face, and it seems to go white under her bottom lip mainly.

Hope this helps
Catherine (claire's mum 2.5yo facial pws)
Old 06-23-2005, 05:28 AM
berryfruit

thank you so much for replying... but I have a another question.. does the whiteness go away?
Old 06-23-2005, 05:29 AM
berryfruit

oops i didnt read the last line properly.. it seems u already answered my question.. thank you so muhc!!!!
Old 06-29-2005, 11:26 PM
PresidentVBF

The laser is specific in that is "seeks out to destroy vascularity" and at times, that means removing even good pigment. It is not unusual for people to have laser therapy and have the area that is lasered to turn white or "hypo-pigmented." I have heard some people say the pigment returned over a long period of time and others that I have seen in clinic have had the hypo-pigmentation for decades. It is a balancing act to get the right settings, right fluency, right number of pulses but a good skilled doc should get great results most of the time. See how it goes over the next month.

Linda Rozell-Shannon
VBF President/Founder
Old 07-10-2005, 03:50 AM
clairesmum

Was wondering how the fading/after treatment was going? Have the white dots disappeared yet?

Regards
Catherine (Claire's mum)