Surgery for VM? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > AVM Help > AVM Help and Resources

Old 07-15-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Surgery for VM?

Hey all,

Here is my question, I have had 1 treatment of sclerotherapy I had it 5/25/05. I am still have frequent pain (at night mostly) I have some localized swelling (just at the elbow, but it's big). I have started compression therapy. Now would surgery to remove it be at all possible? I had gotten an e-mail from Dr.Levitin saying it could be discussed. But from other doc's I was told surgery is not a good ide..I am so confused, I know sclerotherapy usually needs more than one treatment, but at this point I am uninsured and cannot afford another treatment anytime soon, let alone the cost of a trip to Colorado...

Can anyone provide any suggestion, or other ways to manage pain related to VM's?

Thanks

Kristie
Old 07-15-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Surgery for VM?

Kristie,

Linda Shannon would like you to email her with photos and history.

hvbf@aol.com

Corinne
Old 07-18-2005, 01:59 PM

Thank you Corinne, I have sent the e-mail along.

Thanks again

Kristie
Old 08-07-2005, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbar
Kristie,

Linda Shannon would like you to email her with photos and history.

hvbf@aol.com

Corinne

Corinne,

I had e-mailed her and haven't heard anything back. I am curious if surgery is at all possible, as it is just continuing to get worse..and I spoke with my doctor and he wants me to have another sclerotherapy within the next month or so, which I so cannot afford. I would like to know if surgery is at all possible... Should I send her another e-mail, I do know she is very busy and all... I also posted on the MSN site, I am just hoping for some advice or whatever...

Thanks

Kristie
Old 08-07-2005, 11:44 PM

Hi Kristie,

I would suggest emailing her again, and call her phone number and leave a message.
(877) VBF-4646 She is bound to get one of them.
I know she will get back to you. If you still can not get a hold of her let me know and I will try.

Hank
Old 08-07-2005, 11:59 PM

Hank,

Thanks for the reply, I just sent the e-mail again..I didn't want to be a nag....but hopefully she won't mind.

More importantly how are you feeling after your surgery with Dr.Waner? Good I hope, how did the surgery go??

KRistie
Old 08-08-2005, 12:06 AM

The surgery went ok, I posted pictures on my subject in the PWS section or you can see them on my website.

Linda will not think you are nagging, you just want a reply. Try to call her this evening she might be home.

Hank
Old 08-08-2005, 01:41 PM

Thanks Hank!

I sent the e-mail to her again and got a reply last night for me to call her...so thanks for telling me to send it again....because I wasn't going to until you told me too!!!

Kristie

I saw your pics and you are looking good
Old 11-29-2005, 08:23 AM
crissy

We have traveled to Colorado for four procedures since July. We have different fund raising things going to help with travel costs. Our airfare for decembers trip was under $600. Patients of the Swedish medical center can stay at the Marriott for $50 a night. It's expensive, but so far God has provided the means to get there and back. The last 4 times we have gone my husband barely recovered from the pain of the last procedure before he had to go down again. We couldn't afford it either and we don't have medical through our jobs. But since we are low income the state is paying for our medical bills even though it's in a different state. This is because no one here wanted to touch it and they referred him to Colorado. We are also checking into disability. I don't know how advanced your case is, but this may be some options you might want to check in to.