VM Treatment With Dr. Yakes - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Additional Resources > General Resources

Old 07-15-2005, 10:29 PM
christopher

Default VM Treatment With Dr. Yakes

Hello,

My Name is Joseph and I recently had an embolization treatment with Dr. Yakes In Colorado. I Would like to start off by saying that it was a very enjoyable experience, and that Dr. Yakes is a very personable doctor. I stayed at the Denver Tech Center Marriott, which offers discounts to patients of the Swedish Hospital ( Where Dr. Yakes is located) at $50.00 a night. I have a VM located inside my left thigh and left side of my genitals. Right now there is considerable swelling but I was told that it was routine, and I am currently on a corticosteroid regimen to reduce swelling. The hospital staff was great. I was really afraid of being put under anesthesia, but I dont even remember the few minutes before they anesthisized me, so if anyone else is afraid of the anesthesia, dont worry because you wont even rember what happens. There really is no significant pain in the area, but they gave me vicodin incase the pain gets bad. The only real bad part about the procedure are the possible blisters that arise from the alchohol injections. I have a moderatley sized one on my inner thigh. Hopefully nothing bad will arise from that. I would be inclined to say that my experience with Dr. Yakes was great and that I cant wait to see the results after the swelling goes down. I hope to have several more treatments this year, so if any of you guys are interested in Dr. Yakes or the procedure, drop me a line and ask me some questions b/c I would be more than glad to answer them.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:33 AM
gina0291

Default Re: VM Treatment With Dr. Yakes

Hi Christopher
My name is Gina. our daughter christy asge 8, also has a venous malformation left leg with involvement to perineal area. her VM is quite extensive extends from ischeal tuberosity to toes. including thigh muscle, left knee, involvement of tibia bone and foot.
dr burrows in boston has diagnosed. recent pain issues with left knee....found lesion to be behind patella (knee cap). dr burrows feels it is an easy to reach lesion and should be treated via scleratherapy.
My question to you....what prompted you to treat your VM, is there benefit to holding off on treatment, and how are you doing right now, a monnth or so after treatment.
If you dont mind, I am interested in your age and some of the issues you have had with your VM. My interest in you is because of the location of your VM...same location as our christy. Have you had issues with leg lenght discrepency? how is thhe appearance of your affected leg....is there swelling?
I appreciate your input and attention to my email.
THANKS!
Old 09-06-2005, 10:26 PM
christopher

Hey there Gina

Sorry to hear about your daughter Christy, these kinda things are unfortunate, especially in the area that our malformations are located. The best thing to do with these is just run with it and not to dwell too much on the negative aspects the malformation can throw at you. Well Gina, in response to your first question, I sought help for my VM due to complications that arose (IE pain, discomfort while standing, and swelling). Being that it is in the perineal area as well, has taken an emotional toll on me as well. I am a 24 year old college student, male, and hispanic. Most of the issues I have had with my VM, are related only to pain, and discomfort. If you let these kinda these "just go" and not do anything about them, they have a tendacy to grow with you, and slowly progress in size. I feel I have a time bomb on my leg sometimes and I need an explosives expert to diffuse it for me b/c I cannot do it on my own. That is where Dr. Yakes comes in. He is a real personable Dr. who operates out of the Swedish Medical Center in Denver. The staff rocks, and the sclerotherapy is a godsend compared to other, much more invasive alternatives. The only reason why I had held off on treatment for my Vm was that there were not the vast amount of safe(er) treament options back then, that we have today. I emphasize safe(er) only because there is always a risk involved with any typed of treatment, only that present treatments allow for minimal blood loss, and/or the evident fact that they are less invasive "treaments" versus the standard operation (which leads to massive blood loss in most cases involving high flow AVM's). Are you reffering to Klippel-Trenaunay Syndrome when you mentioned a length discrepency? No, I have not experienced this phenomena due to the fact that my VM is for the most part a superficial Venous Malformation. The only area that it is located hypodermically is above my pubic area, and a small clump on the inside of my thigh. It feels like a clump of veins right under the skin. But for the most part, my VM affects the venous structures located within the skin. Gina,please feel free to email anytime or Private message me on any of my instant messenger monakers that I have specified in my profile. You and Christy take care.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:13 AM
gina0291

Hello! Thanks for responding. I am not referring to KTS, but since you are alot older than Christy I wanted to know if i should expect leg lenght differences. i am glad to know that you do not experience that. I was confused when you mentioned embolizationtherapy for yourelf. So it is sclerathherapy....that is the treatment for Christy too as her malformation is strictly venous.
She also has the lesion in her pubic area....near the left labia. I am sure this is an emotional strain for you, I have concerns for our daughter regarding this as she becomes older.
You are one of the first people I have talked with the condition in the same location. Christys MRI shows her malformation to be extensive, diffuse throughout hamstring muscle, around the knee throught the tibia bone and extends down into foot. You mentioned not having these treatments available back thhen...I do feel fortunate for modern medicine. I have been chatting with some wonderful people on the msn group and I am learning sooo much. It seems that the feeling is strong to be aggresive and treat these lesions while they are small. I was wondering if it is better to delay treatment as long as possible, or if it is more beneficial to get them early.
So does your lesion not extend into the muscle? Chrstys lesion is strictly venous, i am unureif your is strictly venous or arterial too.....
You are kind to respond, and I will keep in touch.
It seems you were trreated in July and followed with steroid thherapy...how are you doing now? Is the swelling gone? Are you feeling well, and how many treatments have you had? Thanks for all of your input!
Smile, Gina