!3 yr old daughter had sclerotherapy and now she can't smile on that side - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > AVM Help > AVM Help and Resources

Old 11-12-2014, 01:07 AM

Default !3 yr old daughter had sclerotherapy and now she can't smile on that side

Hi everyone my daughter was diagnosed with veinous vascular malformation when she was 2 (2003). Over the years she has had many sclerotherapy treatments and we have not had any problems. She had the last injection in the set of 3 required and this time 5 days after she can't smile completely (she is still swollen but the swelling has reduced by 50%). She can not scrunch her nose on that side either. I am wondering if any one has experienced this before and is this something that will slowly get better. We live in NS but we travel to Toronto Sick Kids Hospital. We have had Dr. John for 11 years and we both love him. I am very worried. I am hoping someone with the same experience is going to tell me, the nerves will slowly get better. She is at the age where her malformation is really effecting her self esteem, and this new 1/2 smile is going to bother her a lot when she returns to school
Old 11-12-2014, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Bless her heart. I have some nerve damage in one side of my face that also affects my smile, and I know how hard that is!

Is she having any other symptoms you might not have thought about? I often chew on the inside of my cheek by accident, and my nose on that side is not as open as it used to be. These aren't things I would not have associated with nerve damage, but they have been present since. My eye on that side also tears much more than the eye on the other side, so much that I no longer wear makeup very often.

Anyway, call the doctor. When does school start? Perhaps you could have her evaluated by a local neurologist and take the results to Dr. John.

Missy
Old 11-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Also, is she having any ear pain? Or even numbness?

Missy