Effects of smoking?? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > AVM Help > AVM Help and Resources

Old 10-27-2005, 04:50 PM
jmonroe

Default Effects of smoking??

I am 29 years old and have a combination LM & AVM in my tongue, lower lip, and chin/jawline area. I recently quit smoking and have been experiencing more than usual swelling.

Since I quit "cold turkey", my GP has suggested using nicotine replacment therapy to wean my body off. He's hoping that will help my body adjust without using steroids. (I really hate the steroids)

Does anyone know the effects of smoking on vascular malformations? Any suggestions?
Old 10-31-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Effects of smoking??

I know that smoking raises your metabolism. So, when you quit, your metabolism bottoms out. Steroids would raise your metabolism, too? Maybe your GP thinks that patches or gum will help raise your metabolism again, and keep the swelling down.

I had this friend who had to start smoking again to get off the gum! Apparently the gum costs more than cigarettes.

If I had the willpower to quit cold turkey (I have considered having my lips sewn together), NOTHING would make me start again. I know I'm not in your situation AT ALL, but wouldn't steriods, as bad as they are, be easier to wean from than nicotine?

How long would you have to be on steroids?

Well, you have my sympathies for your plight here, but YOU ROCK for the cold turkey deal... I wish I was so strong as that.

Missy
Old 10-31-2005, 04:22 PM

OT- Missy... my mother-in law smoked for 48 years... she bought stuff to try to quit or wean herself down to make her family happy... but never opened the packages...she just wasn't going to try.* We all nagged at her...but it didn't matter... she had zero will power or desire to try.* She'd tell me if they made a pill that would help me quit... i'd do it. (of course I was reluctant to believe this either).* Then they came out with Zyban... and I told her about it...no reply.* It took a scare...she thought she was having a mini-stroke one day and that was her wake up call... she went to the doctor for Zyban (sp?) and within ONE WEEK...she never picked up another cig.* She has been smoke free for 7 years and has no more desire.*
I hope you don't mind me sharing this (I thought about just emailing you)...but a lot of people can benefit ???* I knew that if she could quit smoking anyone could.* She went from 48 years of not caring to quit to smoke free in one week.

Corinne
Old 11-01-2005, 02:18 PM

Corinne,

LOL I love ZYBAN! And, it really does work. If you don't start again!

Missy
Old 11-10-2005, 07:05 PM
mikethepainter

First of all, Zyban happens to help people quit smoking but that was not its intended use nor is there any scientific explanation as to how it works.* Given that, let the pharmaceutical companies experiment on someone else.* And we wonder why we have congenital vascular problems? Before taking any prescription medication, you should research it yourself. Research Zyban\Wellbutrin and you probably won't want to take it anyway.
If you want to use nicotine replacement, prepare yourself for a roller coaster ride.* You may be taking a break from a psychological addiction so you can tackle the physical addiction later as you ween yourself off of the nicotine.* That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever in the case of nicotine addiction.* The physical addiction is over in 2 to 3 days.* The psychological addiction lasts for years!* Nicotine replacement just draws out the hard part, and if you think chewing gum or putting on a patch is like smoking a cigarette, you are in for a surprise.* If you don't chew the gum right you will get blasted with nicotine.* Imagine trying to get over the need for 30 cigarettes a day by smoking them in six sittings. * *
Taking steroids is equally ridiculous.* You will have to ween off of those too.* If you are willing to damage your body with daily nicotine use for years then a few days or even weeks of a screwy metabolism shouldn't bother you too much.* Slowed your metabolism?* Well now you just have to exercises like a non-smoker.
I tried all of those methods to quit smoking.* I started smoking at 14 and by the time I was 29 I was down to three packs a day.* (Yes, I smoked more than that for a while there.)* I used an herbal, nicotine free gum that I saw at a health food store.* It had herbs in it to control appetite, reduce cravings, calm nerves, and detoxify the body.* It was not my primary method of quitting but it helped keep me calm for the first two days.* That is all I used it for. After that it wasn't so bad and having the nicotine out of my system made it a lot easier to deal with the day to day cravings.* Cravings aren't so bad when you aren't freaking out.
My primary method for quitting was realizing that I had to quit.* I had been dealing with an AVM on my face for years and at the time believed I was incurable.* As it turns out the smoking was not the cause of my problem, but I am sure it didn't help either.* At one point I decided that since I had recently become, I would eliminate all female smokers from the dating pool.* I began smoking less and eventually ended up in a serious relationship with someone who had severe asthma.* Imagine that.* She never tried to make me quit, but seeing what it was doing to her certainly helped me cut back.* When I finally did quit I just stayed close to her when I wasn't working and her presence was all the support I needed.* It has been a year and a half since I quit.* *I have gained a little weight, but at least my girlfriend can breath around me.