Pain killers before laser? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  

1994 - 2014 Celebrating 20 years with 75,000 networked into treatment, over 3,000,000 views monthly on our world wide websites, virtual chapters on 6 of the 7 continents in the world, 500 families provided free lodging while seeking a medical opinion or treatment,over 400 conference scholarships awarded, 200 Day of Awareness events, 15 conferences, 12 programs (including our Ask/Accept Anti Bullying Program),10 walk/runs, 6 research projects funded, 4 physician education grants awarded, 4 college scholarships awarded, 3 Galas, and 2 International Missions Trips with over 300 treated by our international team.
Donate to VBF

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 12-17-2005, 08:28 AM
mikeb23ft

Default Pain killers before laser?

Hi all, this is my first new post here, but I did kind of introduce myself in the 'living with pws' thread a few posts down. I've had about 14 or 15 laser treatments on my PWS over the years (I'm 20) and I can only remember a few times that I've had any kind of pain killer or numbing agent. The pain of laser surgery isn't really that terrible, honestly, but it is annoying. Do you/your children usually recieve any type of pain killer or anything before going 'under the gun?' Just curious...
Old 12-17-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Pain killers before laser?

Hi Mike,

Our situation is a bit different as my son is only 2.5 and has a hemangioma, but we are doing laser tx. to reduce his birthmark because it has similar issues as a pws. Anyway, he is put under g.a. because of his age, size of the lesion and being near his eye. What I really wanted to comment on is that I've heard a lot of comments on this subject from "adults" that have pws and laser tx. .. there seems to be a trend that numbing cream/pain killers are not needed very often. My opinion is you and some other pws patients have a much higher tolerance for pain?

Corinne
Old 03-03-2006, 09:21 PM
scrubgirl82

Hey everybody thie is my first time on the site. I am 23 with a pws on the left side of my face. I have had 40+ procedures with as many lasers as they have! I started the procedures at age 5 and was under gen anesthetic. In my teens however I was given a pain killer only and it was horrible. My dad had to restrain me when they worked on my nose and lip, however the outside of my cheek was not painful at all. I think the pain is more intense depending on location.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:30 PM

Hi, my grandson is 11 yrs. old and they have always used GA for his treatments.

Nice to see you here- welcome!
Glenda
Old 03-04-2006, 07:07 PM

Hi scrubgirl82,

First of all welcome to the group.

I am also 23 years old with a facial PWS but on the right side of my face. I also started laser treatment when I was 5 years old and have had close to a hundred treatments I have used four different laser to date (one was still expermental). My first Derm I went to when I started did not believe in putting kids under GA so my parents and nurse held me down for treatments. Did that for about eight years before finding a doctor closer to us in Nebraska then started going under GA for treatment for about two years before I started to get tired of it then just got the treatments straight with either numbing shots or numbing creams. I guess I never did take pain pills for any of the treatments, I guess I just got use to it after having them so much.

Now I have had three plastic surgeries/debulkings on my face from where my PWS started to grow. It looks puffy and thick. It is probably caused by hormones.

I would like to learn more about and to see how much more we have in common with awere birthmarks. If you want to see pictures of me and read more about me you can go to my website at www.hankspws.com. You can also email if you wish my add is in my profile.

I hope to hear from you soon and if you ever have any questions please ask we are all here for you.

Hank
Old 03-13-2006, 07:59 PM
kiddiemom3

Hi,

Until the age of 2 we did the laser treatments in the doctors office. I would give her Tylenol about 1/2 before the treatment. I couldn't use any numbing creams because 1) they don't give it under the age of 1 and 2) she would most probably wipe it into her eye. We would hold her down and the surgeon would do the laser. When she was 10 months old she recognized the outside of the doctors building and would start to cry.

From the time she was 2 her treatments are done under GA - it's great. We have fun before surgery; cute pajamas, the cage crib, and then when she awakes I give her treats. It's a fun experience for her, and I was even able to threaten her one night, a few nights before the surgery that if she won't go to sleep then she won't go to the "doctor with the cage". Boy did she go to sleep nicely.

Anyways that's my experience with my daughter.
kiddiemom3
Old 03-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Jonellen

I'm 33 years old with a facial PWS. I've had 4 laser treatments so far. The first 3 were with a numbing agent but now that I'm with a new doctor they do it under general anesthesia. It is so much nicer. I think they are able to do the laser faster with me under g.a. since I'm not moving around from the discomfort.