Post Treatment- Is this normal??? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 07-31-2006, 08:21 PM
minnie123

Default Post Treatment- Is this normal???

Hi,
I just had my first "real" treatment for my facial portwine stain today. My birthmark is the size of a quater and now post treatment the spot is black and it looks bigger than it originally is. It almost looks as if the purple pigmentation of my birthmark now outlines the black spot on my face. Is this normal? How long untill the blackness fades away? I didnt quite expect to see a larger black spot.

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2006, 01:10 AM
Administrator

What kind of treatment did you get? I mean, what kind of laser was used and do you know what settings?

I think your experience is typical, though. Someone else will chime in here soon with their experiences, but from what I understand, it will take a few days for the swelling or blackness fades and you should see some lightening.

Missy
Old 08-01-2006, 01:22 AM

Hi,

I have the same question Missy has about what laser.

If it was the V-Beam Pulse Dye laser normally the darkness can last anywere from 5 to 14 days. For me it is normally a week. It will start itching use a Q tip to scratch it and to apply your cream since fingernails will scar. Because of the size of your area I do not think it will take long to heal though.

Hope this helps.

Hank
Old 08-01-2006, 12:25 PM
minnie123

Hi,
I had treatment with the V-Beam with an 8.5 setting. This is day 2 after treatment and the area looks the same - black in color and larger in size. Thanks for the replies. Atleast now I know what to expect when I go back in six weeks for treatment #2.

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2006, 04:43 PM
minnie123

One more question... I am 5 days post treatment and I am having a little bleeding. I noticed it on the Q-Tip I use to apply my cream. Is this normal? The bruising has cleared up some but I still have some scabbing. Also, I have to be out in the sunlight for an event with my work. Is it ok to cover the area up with a band-aid?

Thanks
Old 08-05-2006, 05:54 PM
sweden

Smile Scar risk

If you have bleeding or scabbing then that area has been treated with a high strength. This means that the top surface of the skin has been damaged and this could leave a scar. The pulse dye laser was designed not to do this (as long as the correct frequency of light is used!).

I had the same type of local bleeding as you described and I had surface scars. Not large scars but the doctor reduced the frequency as this is not supppose to happen. Also be careful not to scratch or rub the area (really do not touch the treated area as this will prevent damage leading to risk of bleeding and scaring. The amount of laser light is not to be too little or too large. The doctor should tell of your skin type and thickness of the measure of light used. Remember that the laser is not suppose to explode the tissue around the birth mark but only effect the vessels and hopefully (with luck) hit the valves so to reduce the flow of blood. To have bleeding indicates that this will not happen as the blood reduction will not be reduced succesfully after the treatment but only the risk of scaring. Tell your doctor that you dont want this high choice of laser light to continue but instead see what can happen if the intensity is slightly reduced.

Have you read my first post (yesterday) about another treatment I have started which I recommend others should try?

// Sweden

Last edited by sweden : 08-05-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:44 PM

Hi,

I agree with Sweden, with that reaction of bleeding is probably from being to aggressive. When I use the Q tip to apply like you are it kind of whips the dry blood up. I have not had any scarring from it personally but remember my body and skin is use to haveing laser treatment be aggressive.

I would also, recommend like Sweden said to talk to you doctor and have him/her turn down the machine a little.

Yes, you can wear a bandage over the area just a far warning it will make it itch more and do not rub it. Make sure you have plenty of cream on it before putting the bandage on.

Happy healing.

Hank