PWS treatment and pregnancy - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 10-26-2006, 02:43 AM
nicoleny

Question PWS treatment and pregnancy

Hi-
I am a 28 year old female with a flat, light pink/purple PWS that goes from my belly button, down my right abdomen over the inside of my right leg. I do not have any other complications associated with my PWS. Recently I got great health insurance with a cosmetic surgery rider. I made an appointment to have a consultation for my PWS to be removed via a laser. Unfortunately the appointment isn't for 2 months.
I recently had a miscarriage and I know that my husband would like to try to get pregnant again next year. My question is does anyone know if it is safe to have a PWS removed with a laser while pregnant? I have read that it may take 8-10 treatments to remove the PWS, which could take over a year.

Any information or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-26-2006, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Hi!

First, I'm sorry to hear of your miscarriage.

I don't know of any hard data or studies that show whether or not laser treatment for PWS could affect pregnancy. When you have your appointment, make sure that you make the doctor understand that you will be trying to get pregnant next year. He may have a better alternative or literature to help you make a decision like that.

Have you considered waiting until after your pregnancy and getting the laser treatments done then? I know it seems a long time to wait, but maybe they could take care of the stretch marks (yes, there will TOO be stretch marks ) at the same time.

I'll look around and see if I can find any information on that, though.

Missy