Question about my PWS - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 06-08-2007, 04:09 AM
trickygirlb

Default Question about my PWS

I am 35 and just had a child. I have a port wine stain birthmark on my left arm that begins on my chest right below the collar bone and goes all the way all the way to my fingertips. It does not go all the way around my arm, the underside of my arm is normal but the exposed side is PWS. There are a few places on my birthmark where I have small red bumps, one in particular is in the fold of my arm beside the main blood vessel. When I became pregnant this bump has swollen a significant amount, my obgyn said this was probably due to hormones and that it would go back to normal after the baby is born. Well my daughter is now 6 months and it is still swollen. Safe to say I have an apponintment with a dermatologist at the end of the month. I have also noticed that my PWS seems to be spreading. I am beginning to get light patches spreading out further. I am sure the doctor will answer all these questions but I was wondering if anyone new anything about this in the mean time. Are there any particular questions I should ask abut my birthmark? I have lived with it for 35 years, and besides the task of having to tell people that no I don't have a rash, and no I wasn't burned in a fire, I have come to deal with it. The main thing is are there any health concerns I should be aware of regarding PWS, especially one that is as large as mine?, and had anyone had bumps that have swollen like the one I have described?
Old 06-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Administrator

If I can picture what you are describing, the bumps are called blebs. As people with PWS get older, the birthmark can cobble and bleb. And, yes, pregnancy can trigger these things... PWS are vascular birthmarks and pregnancy causes an increase in blood all through the body, plus hormones, etc, etc.

Do you think you'll try some laser treatment?

Missy
Old 06-11-2007, 01:31 AM
trickygirlb

I would love to have laser surgery but I doubt I could afford it and I am pretty sure my insurance would not cover it.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Look through your handbook... you might be surprised. My insurance (which sucks by all other standards) covers laser for rosacea. I didn't take them up on it, since I can keep it under control with tetracycline, but I was still surprised.

Missy