Make up - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 10-07-2007, 08:40 PM

Smile Make up

My daughter is 22 and has a PWS on her cheek- quite a large one. She's had many many laser treatments years ago, and though it's still there, it has lightened.

Jessica is using dermablend make up but wondered if anyone else has had success with anything else? This makeup is not the best for ones' skin and would like to share with her another alternative.

Suggestions?

CA
Old 10-08-2007, 12:23 AM
Administrator

We have an Ask the Makeup Expert here:

http://birthmark.org/experts.php

I found Dermablend to be very heavy (and I just have rosacea and not a PWS to cover).

Missy
Old 01-03-2008, 11:20 PM

I used to use dermablend,but hated how heavy it was.
I now use Cover Blend. It looks much lighter on, and it is water proof, and lasts alot longer without getting that greasy look.

PAmom
Old 01-04-2008, 03:49 PM

I actually like dermablend. It sucked for trying to cover up parts of my birthmark on my leg but it works pretty decent for a tattoo I have as well as if I need to do quick cover up on my face for blemishes or something.

I have heard some commercials for some new product called sheer cover and they claim its supposed to be pretty good stuff. Might want to try that.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:13 AM

Smile Make up for PWS on hand

I'm a mid-life female with a very large, dark pink pws that covers the majority of one of my arms and the hand. I haven't felt the need to cover it until now - I just got a job where the pws is considered akin to a tatoo and has to be covered. I purchased a Clinique product to cover it but found that it looks heavy and comes off when touched. Is there a better product that is waterproof and has staying power?
Old 02-09-2008, 09:32 PM

Thumbs up Senna Cosmetics Concealer

I also have a PWS, and it is a lot lighter (but definitely still there) following several laser treatments. I used to use dermablend, but also found it heavy and cakey, and I can get away with a lighter concealer now. I'm constantly looking for better products. Before I got married, I had a makeup consultation, and liked the Joe Blasco Special Red Neutralizer. However, my makeup lady later recommended a Senna Cosmetics product. I absolutely LOVE it! It is Senna Totally Transforming Concealer (from their website: this concealer is light and silky yet covers up dark, under eye circles and is crease-proof. It contains an exclusive botanical extract that soothes skin and reduces puffiness). It seems so much less greasy than any of the other concealers I've tried. I also invested in an airbrush, which was expensive but well worth it to me. I currently use the Senna Concealer, then airbrush on my foundation (or apply it with a brush), and set it all with the Aircraft Pressed Powder in "some color." I'm 28, and have been covering my PWS since about the 5th grade. This is the best I've found for looking like I'm not wearing a lot of makeup. My favorite part is that it doesn't gather in the creases around my eyes, a major problem I had with other concealers. I don't think it would have covered my PWS pre-laser treatment, but it's just enough coverage now. Following treatment, my PWS is a little lighter than my lips and more broken up.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:16 AM

I also have a PWS on the left side of my face. I tried dermablend and hated it. I felt a like I had a mask on. After that, I tried Laura Mercier's secret camouflage, which I had to apply in two layers. That screwed up my skin causing acne and raised areas. Since then, I have been using Cover FX. I have to apply two layers of this as well, but it covers well and doesn't cause acne. The bad part is that it's not waterproof. So, I have to be careful not to wipe it off and I have to use translucent powder on top of it every 2 hours or so to keep it in place. Senna from the previous post sounds interesting, but I don't think it'll cover my PWS. Most people like Clinique, but I think I tried that too and hated it.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:28 AM

Hello

I'm 29 yo female living in Japan.

I have port wine stain surrounding my right eye, and started using covermark's concealer in highschool, but it was always heavy, and
I hate it after a long day, my face started cracking....

I now use Shiseido's Perfect Cover. The product claims they focused on light ray's characteristic, that when mixed with complementary color(for red, is green), the red color diminishes(supposedly )http://www.shiseido.co.jp/pc/ps/index.htm
(sorry, in japanese..)

I'm not quite sure how it works, but with light application, my red mark
is covered, and my friends didn't notice my birthmark until I told them I had.(I have birthmark covering whole right eye, and some cheek) It looks very natural.

Just to introduce what a person who has birthmark from other country is using