First Laser for 6month on 11/5/07, any words of wisdom? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 10-08-2007, 11:47 AM

Default First Laser for 6month on 11/5/07, any words of wisdom?

Hi,
We are starting our Laser treatments under g.a. for my 6 month old daughter, Joey, on Novembe 5th. Dr Liang from Boston Children's is going to do it.
I have done a lot of reading and think that I am ready for the bruising and the anesthesia. I am most concerned about the not eating/drinking for 6 hours before. We live about 2 hours from the place where the treatment will take place (Cape Cod to Lexington, MA) and we have to be there at 7:45 am for an 8:45 treatment. She is only just going to be 6 months at that time, and right now, eats at like 5am and then again about 7:30. She does take a pacifier, but will spit it out if she is hungry.
So does anyone who has been through this before give us some words of wisdom?
Thanks,
Jen, mom to Joey, a beautiful, happy 5 month old girl!
Old 10-09-2007, 01:15 PM

Jen,

When our daughter has her treatments they are usually in the afternoon so she at least gets to load up on breakfast before fasting. She did have to get an MRI under anesthesia at 3 months. It was an early morning appointment and she could have nothing 6 hours prior. We woke her up at 3AM to feed her before the cutoff. In the morning she was sleepy because it was early so she pretty much slept on the way to the hospital. When she did get fussy we just tried to distract her. Hopefully Joey will sleep in the car for you.

Best wishes to you and your family. Please keep us posted.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:14 AM

Jen - we've been blessed with early appts as well. We live 3 hours from treatment, so we spend the night at a hotel nearby so we get to sleep later. I would feed her right before the 6 hour mark (even if it is off schedule) and then be ready with a bottle or ready to nurse right after treatment. It really is soothing to the baby and she will be very unhappy coming out of the general anesthesia, and having wires all over the place - not to mention being greasy, bruised and burned.

Since we travel home 3 hours afterwards and her treatment is pretty extensive, the anesthesiologist usually gives her something to help with the pain and helps her sleep all the way home - which is nice. We had one dr who ignored us and then she cried and whined all the way home and you want to talk about an angry mommy!

I'm sure they will take good care of your baby. There is nothing like a polka dotted baby
Robin